Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caverns, why must you evade my grasp?!  (Read 1416 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caverns, why must you evade my grasp?!
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:26:00 pm »

Right, so I found the perfect embark of bauxite,mudstone (That was actually the bad part but meh), and some other stone I can't remember. Problem was that I didn't check the temperature or the biome. So, now that I have a Rheesus Macaque army and bone bolts from those jack-asses, but the water is drying up because it's a savanna so I'm working one the water problem by getting to the caverns. I've dug fiteen z-levels, and now the game won't let me dig any deeper. Also, triple platinum veins. :D

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caverns, why must you evade my grasp?!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:27:18 pm »

Won't let you go deeper than 15 z levels?

What version are you playing?

Caverns are DF2010 only.  They don't show in the 40D series

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:27:52 pm »

Are you using 40d or 31? because you sound like you are using 40d, caverns don't exist in 40d.

Prepostedit: Ninja'd.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:35:30 pm »

Are you using 40d or 31? because you sound like you are using 40d, caverns don't exist in 40d.

Prepostedit: Ninja'd.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:36:29 pm »

Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:37:42 pm »

Sooooo, any save edits anyone could do to get caverns in the unused copy of DF2010 I have in my gams file?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:38:36 pm »

Caverns are in every square of the map in 31. so is magma.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:43:08 pm »

So do save transfers? and could I trade up? I started playing about a week before two ten was released.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 08:45:06 pm »

No, you can't go from 40d to 31. 31 breaks save compatibility.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »

In 40d you have, of course, a small chance to have an underground pool or river
(although the chance is slim, unless you searched for it via sitefinder or had it visible on the map of  the embark screen)
and even if there is one on the map it still is hard to find end  might require a lot of exploratory digging

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 09:15:04 pm »

Now the old version won't read the saves I copy pasta-ed into the save folder.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:34:31 pm »

40d saves do not work with 31, and 31 saves do not work with 40d. I never said it would, it won't work. Forget about moving them. Just start a new fortress.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 10:18:59 pm »

If you want caverns, I'm afraid you will need to download version 0.31.03 and start a new fortress. There is no way to have caverns in version 0.28.181.40d, and no way to move a fort between those two versions.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 11:52:36 pm »

If you want caverns, I'm afraid you will need to download version 0.31.03 and start a new fortress. There is no way to have caverns in version 0.28.181.40d, and no way to move a fort between those two versions.
Even if you could, you'd be moving a cavernless fort to 31.03 where it would still be cavernless, which defeats the purpose.

fudgejudge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 01:10:53 am »

Now the old version won't read the saves I copy pasta-ed into the save folder.

Don't worry, edit the raws to give dwarves speed tags and no cave adaptation and alcohol dependency.

That'll get you on your feet fast.
Pages: [1] 2