Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrants! And more migrants! ...and...more migrants...  (Read 1955 times)

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants! And more migrants! ...and...more migrants...
« on: April 30, 2010, 05:32:20 pm »

Yeah, so, I've received a whole two migrant waves in my fortress, which has been up for about 2 game years now. It's the first time I've gotten anywhere, so this is pretty interesting.

Are migrant waves always about a MILLION FREAKIN PEOPLE?! Jesus. My first wave was 20 migrants, and after having 2 dorfs die off while hunting (which made me decide 'screw hunting'), I receive another wave the next year...with 21 migrants! The list came out as:

VIA AIM:
    ...uh oh it's migrant time
(5:02:03 PM):     gem cutter, weaver, animal dissector?!,  peasant, Child, ANOTHER animal dissector!
(PhoenicIan)  5:04 pm
(5:04:11 PM):     metalcrafter, weaver, peasant, animal caretaker (oh I bet he's huge friends with the dissectors), ANOTHER animal caretaker :E, peasant #3, a siege operater (!), wood burner? seriously?, miner (yay), peasant #4... fishery worker, stoneworker, peasant the 5th, woodcutter, puppy, another fishery worker...
(5:04:21 PM):     population: 47 @_@
(5:04:31 PM):     it's more-bedroom-time, siiiigh

So, I ask. Are gigantic migrant waves normal? What's the biggest you've seen? And what the hell am I going to do with 47 dwarves? (PS: playing 40d)
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants! And more migrants! ...and...more migrants...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 06:30:48 pm »

Make them all workers and build something amazing, or drown them.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:23:43 pm »

It fluctuates quite a bit. Some forts I only get two in my first wave... but in general I've been getting much larger waves than in 40d. They tend to be between 15 and 25 large, so dwarf therapist has been a blessing.

This might be a symptom of all the veins of ore exposed when digging into caverns. Can anybody with exclusively surface layer forts tell us the size of their migrant waves?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:38:12 pm »

Migrants are great in my experience. I usually get my stuff done once I get more people to help me build this fort. (Usually for hauling out stone so I can get everything stockpiled)
And with the new barrack thing you can just build a room with a bunch of beds in it and they will use the room as public sleepytime room, and not for training.
So you dont need to make bedrooms right away. What might be a problem is the booze and food but now that theres water on every map, the only thing you really need is to make a farm  big enough to feed them all.
you mean the new dormitory thing? my military has taken over the barracks.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

KcKelley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:58:25 pm »

So, I ask. Are gigantic migrant waves normal? What's the biggest you've seen? And what the hell am I going to do with 47 dwarves? (PS: playing 40d)

Emphasis mine. :P

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:07:41 pm »

It fluctuates quite a bit. Some forts I only get two in my first wave... but in general I've been getting much larger waves than in 40d.

(PS: playing 40d)

Whichever version you're playing, it's based on three main factors:
1) Created Wealth (see the stocks screen - the higher it is, the more immigrants you get). 'Exported Wealth' is important for impressing the nobles to become a barony, duchy, etc. but I don't think it affects normal immigrants.
2) Deaths at the fort (see the units screen and look for 'Deceased' dwarves - the more deaths, the fewer immigrants you get).
3) Tiles mined out (no easy way to look this up - more tiles = more immigrants).

With a surface fort in 40d, I had very few immigrants for a long time because I didn't do any digging... even though I had high created wealth from high quality wooden furniture and crafts, my waves were only one or two immigrants at a time until I set up a quarry.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:33:32 pm »

I had a mayor in two years due to deep digging. Well, two years of immigrants anyway.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »

This gets annoying when you embark over a clown college, as its architectural value (over 100000!) is counted.

It also makes my computer lag like a beast.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:32:12 pm »

Wait... you're complaining?
47 is nowhere near enough for me!
I will definitely take your unwanted, unwashed masses!
Oh, and I'm a noob but the biggest wave I've seen is 23, plus 6 animals.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 12:48:15 am »

More is good. You lose dwarfs faster in 2010 than in 40d. But it's not always a big wave. My last waves were:

5, 6, 23, then nothing for the next six seasons, 21, 8.

It's either small waves, large waves, or nothing. I never get anything between 9 and 20. Medium waves don't happen.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 04:29:19 am »

Farming.  Booze making.  Mining/smoothing/etching.  I can keep about 65 workers going at all times no matter what, but once I'm at 100 or so I usually have 20 doing squat all the time..which is when the new military comes into play! (When it works, having 20 milita is pretty nice..well, when you have a lot of metal like the new versions do).

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 04:38:12 am »

Heck, I'm still figuring out how to make CLOTHES, let alone do cool things like megastructures and whatnot. I'm thinking that I want to start up a small militia, as I figure with this many dorfs, something's going to want to kill 'em off sooner or later. So far my only casualties were to a cougar and an alligator (that got credited as a drowning anyway). Seriously, though, this is some heavy multitasking for me, and until I figure out what I want to do, I've got my idler count floating in the 30s, out of 47 dwarfs. @_@ Just seems like I could be doing more.

And, am I reading this right -- magma is not guaranteed on 40d? So I might not have any use for my anvil(s) without burning a metric ton of trees and pissing off the elves (which doesn't really matter anyway except for my lack of military)?
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

spikesp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 05:19:11 am »

looks like prime canadates for HFS service

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 10:52:37 am »

Don't want all those new immigrants? Draft them into the military and have them clear out the caves using only training weapons or their bare hands. Most will die horribly, but you will get a few ledgendary combatants out of it. You can then put those ledgendary ones in full steel/bronze plate mail and have them work as your real military.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 05:34:36 pm »

Don't want all those new immigrants? Draft them into the military and have them clear out the caves using only training weapons or their bare hands. Most will die horribly, but you will get a few ledgendary combatants out of it. You can then put those ledgendary ones in full steel/bronze plate mail and have them work as your real military.

This plan works better than one would expect.
Pages: [1] 2