Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Catching colds.  (Read 1032 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catching colds.
« on: April 30, 2010, 05:19:27 pm »

Creatures that stay outside in the rain too much can catch colds, causing congestion (movement slower? winding? trouble breathing?)

drowsyness (moving slower and needs more sleep) sneezing (dwarves who sneeze leave mucus as a contaminant that prolonged contact can infect other dwarves and must be cleaned up) cough (also causes mucus. severe cough can end up causing throat damage if really bad causing minor bleeding)

Might also randomly be the flu flu has more severe symptoms nad a high fever and is also more easily spread.

perhaps even you could use fiber to make masks so sneezing and coughing dwarves dont send snot everywhere.

Being sick causes unhappy thoughts.

Maybe even visitors or immigrates can arrive with a cold and even liaisons so you can risk infecting a dwarf and attend the meetings or be on the safe side and not do them.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:14:28 pm by Toybasher »

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catching colds.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 07:05:46 pm »

Colds heal up on there own after a while, flu needs more sleeping then normal and might cause death.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:50:38 pm by Toybasher »

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:47:32 pm »

I just got a idea for this, make a room with a lockable door and a dwarf with a cold, then send in a noble and lock the door and let him sit untill hes infected. as soon as hes better keep doing it over and over so he stays sick forever!

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:42:49 am »

Updated first post.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:49:30 am »

I could make something like this.
It wouldn't be a common cold as much as a virus that appears like a cold and is diagnosed like a cold. See believe it or not the most deadly animal on earth is...the common mosquito. This is because they carry more blood born viruses with them and spread more quickly then anything else on earth. There also found in nearly EVERY natural biome on earth, including the arctic.

If you like, I could make a mod featuring several types of mosquitoes, with syndromes like that of a cold but more dire depending on the biome they are found in.

Would it help you to rest more comfortably at night?

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 08:51:44 am »

Disease and sickness were initially planned as part of this release under the 'venoms' category, but were delayed due to time constraints.

Also: *quadruple* post?

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 08:56:53 am »

I was thinking you catch them in the rain, or form a liaiosn thats comes over.

"Hey *COUGH* AHCHOO Inm your COUGH liaison! What do you COUGH want? SNEEZE!

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 08:59:33 am »

I could make something like this.
It wouldn't be a common cold as much as a virus that appears like a cold and is diagnosed like a cold. See believe it or not the most deadly animal on earth is...the common mosquito. This is because they carry more blood born viruses with them and spread more quickly then anything else on earth. There also found in nearly EVERY natural biome on earth, including the arctic.

If you like, I could make a mod featuring several types of mosquitoes, with syndromes like that of a cold but more dire depending on the biome they are found in.

Would it help you to rest more comfortably at night?

Not really. but do it anyways and put it iin the mods section! sounds really cool!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 09:01:23 am »

Its the best we can do until toady gets the sicknesses right.
Anyway, with tiny vermin running around biting your dwarfs, you will never notice the difference, unless of coarse your in a desert where it never rains, but I could always use sand flies there instead that give rashes.  :P

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:05:07 am »

Except that you don't catch the common cold from getting wet, cold, or other environmental conditions, but rather from the viruses that cause it. More to the point, being out in the wet and cold has no effect on your likelihood of getting infected. Catching it from the liaison would be a natural process of what is intended to go in, should that liaison happen to have an infectious disease.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 09:59:05 am »

Except that you don't catch the common cold from getting wet, cold, or other environmental conditions, but rather from the viruses that cause it. More to the point, being out in the wet and cold has no effect on your likelihood of getting infected. Catching it from the liaison would be a natural process of what is intended to go in, should that liaison happen to have an infectious disease.

Yes but I was thinking form being out in the rain otherwise your fortress would pretty much never have any colds.

Also a sick dwarf has immunity for that type of cold so you dont have to worrey about constant reinfection.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 12:15:45 pm »

Well at the moment the Poison framework has added a "resistance" value for every poison iirc. If so this value needs some of the "rust" applied so the dwarf can catch a cold ones in a while not ones per live.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 01:39:36 pm »

Well at the moment the Poison framework has added a "resistance" value for every poison iirc. If so this value needs some of the "rust" applied so the dwarf can catch a cold ones in a while not ones per live.

This might work but they should have total immunity to that strain to pevent

A infects b who infcts cde and f
all but f  get cured, but then f infects abcd and e again and they all get better but A who infects then yet again, sending a tattrun sprial of sneezing and coughing.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 02:03:25 pm »

I kind of agree that rain should cause it. I know that IRL rain doesn't really, but in DF, rain barely does anything. I think it refills pools and gives a bad thought. This way, you would have to worry about keeping them out of the rain so that you don't end up with 90% of the population in bed sneezing and coughing.

Also, Toy, read through your post before you hit reply. Preview and spell check are your friends.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 02:05:31 pm »

Instead of rain causing it its more likely that a half frozen and soaked dwarf has a lowered resistance against diseases in general.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: [1] 2