Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grates and doors should 'support' grates and doors  (Read 998 times)

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grates and doors should 'support' grates and doors
« on: April 30, 2010, 05:07:45 pm »

Currently (0.31.03) grates and doors require 'support' from a nearby wall (or wall or floor for grates).

My suggestion is that in addition to being supported by walls/floors, grates and doors are also supported by other grates and doors.

For example, this would allow construction of a 3x3 area of grates, or a 3 wide door across a hallway (without resorting to exploiting bugs ;))

Currently only 2x3 areas of grates, and 2 wide areas of doors can be constructed across a 3 wide hallway.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grates and doors should 'support' grates and doors
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:09:23 pm »

I would very much like to see this happen.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:15:46 pm »

Grates can be linked to levers to make them vanish. How do you intend to work around the middle grates always crashing down when you try to open your new giant grate?

I think it's best if Toady just expands the bridge concept to cover this.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 06:38:18 pm »

Where would you attach the door in the middle of the hall? If you attached it to the other door, wouldn't they both swing as one? Maybe we just need bigger doors.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:44:58 pm »

Where would you attach the door in the middle of the hall? If you attached it to the other door, wouldn't they both swing as one? Maybe we just need bigger doors.

Or have doors come with frames.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:45 pm »

Grates can be linked to levers to make them vanish. How do you intend to work around the middle grates always crashing down when you try to open your new giant grate?

I think it's best if Toady just expands the bridge concept to cover this.

Just have them collapse like unsupported retracting bridges do currently? The whole point is that you wouldn't want to open them - you want a section of flooring which allows liquids to pass, but dwarves/enemies can walk over.

Expanding the bridge concept so that you can have "bridges with holes in them" is a good idea ("build bridge from grates" or something), but that doesn't actually solve the problem you're using to justify that approach (namely being able to construct structures which collapse when one of them is retracted). What I've suggested should be a quick/easy change which would greatly increase the amount of interesting constructions you can make with grates.

They manage it for office buildings without having gigantic doors.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 08:32:01 am »

It doesn't help with dropping grates on people's heads, but being able to build a single 3x3 (or larger) grate would be neat (using multiple grate items, of course). Mainly the treating as one item for the purpose of linking to a lever.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 08:14:13 am »

why would deactivating the surrounding grates even be a problem? the game already detects that a building exists even if it's not showing right now. think of lever-opened doors.. you can't build something else there as well. so it would also know there's grates around. just auto-disable a grate if everything it's supported by is also disabled. re-enabling it is another matter, of course. and yeah, being able to set multiple constructions as being a large connected block would be nice.

me, i just wish to see doors 3 wide and 5 z-levels high, or vertical bars/fortifications being treated this same way.

duckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 09:50:43 am »

Maybe you can let sizes be set for grates and doors the same way bridges have their sizes set (provided doors can only extend in one dimension)?