Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lagbeast [Maybe spoilers?]  (Read 1846 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lagbeast [Maybe spoilers?]
« on: April 30, 2010, 02:05:41 pm »

So, here I am enjoying my tweaked settings [made caverns MUCH bigger, but reduced the amount of size between them and removed one layer] and the heightened framerate that comes with it... When all of a sudden a forgotten beast comes from off-screen in the first cavern layer.

Made of flame.

It promptly paths through a gigantic underground lake, creating a ball of steam and lag that grinds my framerate down to almost nothing. How can I fight this thing? It can't reach me, but obviously dumping more water on it isn't going to extinguish it. Its only body parts are 'Body' and 'Shell', so I'm worried that even setting up a firing line of crossdwarves isn't going to help me much.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Lagbeast [Maybe spoilers?]
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:09:09 pm »

Try causing a cave in of some rock walls over it, if that doesn't work make a cave in of rock walls around it to trap it in one place so that after it's evaporated the water inside the closed of area there is no more water for it to evaporate, I assume it can't fly right?

Pour magma on it to obsidianise it. This is if it stays in the water and doesn't evaporate it to fast, if it does then pour the magma in first and then the water. Alternatively I hear cave swallowmen are good forgotten beast slayers, sometimes.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:17:01 pm »

Capture him and harness his power to your will, thereby creating the first of many "steampunk" fortresses?
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:20:12 pm »

Well traps don't work on forgotten beasts sadly and they are building destroyer sadly, so he;s going to have to use a elobarote cave in scheme to get the thing to do anything. Pit gladiators against him maybe? And I know you weren't 100% serious I was just discussing it seriously.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:33:18 pm »

Well traps don't work on forgotten beasts sadly and they are building destroyer sadly, so he;s going to have to use a elobarote cave in scheme to get the thing to do anything. Pit gladiators against him maybe? And I know you weren't 100% serious I was just discussing it seriously.

I was thinking of creating a trap; a floor I can drop on his head, baited by tossing a kitten down the side of the cliff-face from my fort. He comes to nibble, I bring down the heavens on him. Though, the potential of trapping him under my fort, then pouring water on him and creating a true Dwarven Sauna is pretty fun to think of.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:52:55 pm »

From what I've encountered, any beast with only a body and shell is invincible.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »

Even to several tons of rock falling from above? Might have to re-think that sauna idea, then!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:38:10 pm »

Build a stairway and release him to the surface. He'll burn away that god awful forest, and deal with those annoying traders for you! Just make sure you lock yourself underground.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:24:17 pm »

Even to several tons of rock falling from above? Might have to re-think that sauna idea, then!

Well, actually, I'm pretty sure encasing any creature in ice/obsidian will kill it, as we as a cave in that totally flattens them.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 06:27:11 pm »

If your fps proves to horrible to execute any of these deathtrap plans, then you might want to just edit the flame material raws to kill the beast.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 07:28:43 pm »

I think you could reduce your lag temporarily by turning temperature off in the init file. It sounds like the beast will totally decimate dwarves in regular combat anyway so anyone he gets to is screwed anyway, but if you're picky you can pause as soon as he gets to someone then save and turn temp back on. As an added bonus he should be out of the water at that point.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 10:39:26 pm »

I think you could reduce your lag temporarily by turning temperature off in the init file. It sounds like the beast will totally decimate dwarves in regular combat anyway so anyone he gets to is screwed anyway, but if you're picky you can pause as soon as he gets to someone then save and turn temp back on. As an added bonus he should be out of the water at that point.
Or maybe he'd just drown.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 10:42:01 pm »

Turning off the temperature to fight a fire monster? Sounds like someone let some elves onto the forum

The appropriate solution is either magma or adamantine clad champions. The steam thing will probably stop when he leaves the water or when he evaporates it all. Unless of course the water is on the edge of the map, then I think it just keeps refilling. I vote for obsidian

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 10:44:12 pm »

Oh please, enough with the "Reasonable solution? Must be an ELF" talk. The guy's not having 'I hate dealing with forgotten beast' problem, he's having a 'holy balls the lag oh god' problem. The temp thing is certainly a good idea, even if it's only to allow the OP to have the FPS to fight back at all.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 10:45:48 pm »

Fire flood trap.
And by that, I mean use its heat to make a fire flood trap, so you have a trap powered by a forgotten beast.
Pages: [1] 2