Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easy way to deal with cavern occupants?  (Read 634 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easy way to deal with cavern occupants?
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:19:19 pm »

I've considered just redirecting a river into the underground caverns I discover.  How effective would this be in dealing with typical occupants?  What would the effect be if I reroute a river into a cavern with a lava pool?  Do I need to build a vent too, for steam?  Does steam develop pressure?  Could I possibly blow up my entire fortress with a massive steam explosion?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Easy way to deal with cavern occupants?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:27:11 pm »

I don't think you'd have much to worry about with steam (doesn't cause pressure or explosions, and I don't think it spreads very far) unless your dwarves are right next to the steam, but as for flooding the caverns, a lot of caverns go to the map edge, meaning the water would drain out.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:30:12 pm »

I've considered just redirecting a river into the underground caverns I discover.  How effective would this be in dealing with typical occupants?

Not very, the caverns are usually open at the edges so the water will just flow of the map unless you wall it in then the cavern dwellers won't be able to access it so why flood it? Also there may be lakes that are open to the edge allowing aquatic visitors that won't be bothered by the water, heck they might even find it easier to access your fortress by swimming up through the water into your fortress causing havoc. Though if there were dips in the cavern that weren't open to the edge you could flood those as a sort of moat or whatever.

What would the effect be if I reroute a river into a cavern with a lava pool?

The top of the magma pool would solidify into obsidian.

Do I need to build a vent too, for steam? Does steam develop pressure?  Could I possibly blow up my entire fortress with a massive steam explosion?

No, no and no. There is steam yes but it's really just a pretty effect atm sadly, though massive steam explosions would be awesome.

EDIT: Damnit, ninjad.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 01:39:18 pm »

A lot of underwater stuff (including forgotten beasts) can move around just fine in water, so that wouldn't work too well, even if you could do it.

Easiest way: forge swords and armor. Equip dwarves with said items. Then... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 01:53:27 pm »

Swords? Real dwarves use their BEAR HANDS!

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 01:58:18 pm »

I deal with them by not leaving any routes from the caverns into my fortress.

b-C-w  is the best defense there is.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »

Swords? Real dwarves use their BEAR HANDS!

Absolutely.  Go find some grizzlies, rip off their hands, and beat things to death with them!  This is all the better because dwarves do use random objects to merciless beat their foes.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:21:31 pm »

Designate a burrows for everywhere you expect your dwarves to be. Assign at least a 2 dwarf military. Have the military set to guard the burrows with a minimum of one dwarf at all times. Have them preferably use axes.

Build a butchery, enjoy the meat.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.