Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions, relating mostly to military.  (Read 369 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions, relating mostly to military.
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:02:01 pm »

1) So I figured out how to do military commands through the wiki and was using that to hunt food. A cougar (or a giant cougar, maybe?) appeared on my map and I sent my single military dwarf, who I thought was wielding a copper battle ax, to go poke at him. I noticed the fight was taking longer than I thought it would, I noticed my dwarf wasn't doing too well. Because, in his rush to get to the cougar he seemed to have left his ax behind. : \

It took me a few tried, but I finally got someone to show up with a weapon, and no one too serious injured, so long as you don't count a missing hand.

It seems like about 20% of the time I tell a military dwarf to kill something, they leave their weapon behind. Is this a known glitch, or am I doing it wrong?

^-- Nevermind that, I read a few posts down and found out it is indeed a glitch and not just me being an idiot.

2) If I embark to a place without magma and dig down to the magma sea (I tried, but the Giant Cave Spiders were very rude to my Dwarfs) will I be able to build manga furnaces? I noticed that I don't have the option to build them at this point.

3) So, I have a statue, and I want it encrusted with jewels. However, I have a good bit of spare doors sitting around due to me HAVING to have matching material doors. I was to encrust the statue and only the statue, but if I just selected "Furniture" they may grab something else. Can I force them to only do the thing I want them to somehow?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:06:36 pm by JakeTamber »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions, relating mostly to military.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:06:18 pm »

1) So I figured out how to do military commands through the wiki and was using that to hunt food. A cougar (or a giant cougar, maybe?) appeared on my map and I sent my single military dwarf, who I thought was wielding a copper battle ax, to go poke at him. I noticed the fight was taking longer than I thought it would, I noticed my dwarf wasn't doing too well. Because, in his rush to get to the cougar he seemed to have left his ax behind. : \

It took me a few tried, but I finally got someone to show up with a weapon, and no one too serious injured, so long as you don't count a missing hand.

It seems like about 20% of the time I tell a military dwarf to kill something, they leave their weapon behind. Is this a known glitch, or am I doing it wrong?

2) If I embark to a place without magma and dig down to the magma sea (I tried, but the Giant Cave Spiders were very rude to my Dwarfs) will I be able to build manga furnaces? I noticed that I don't have the option to build them at this point.

3) So, I have a statue, and I want it encrusted with jewels. However, I have a good bit of spare doors sitting around due to me HAVING to have matching material doors. I was to encrust the statue and only the statue, but if I just selected "Furniture" they may grab something else. Can I force them to only do the thing I want them to somehow?

For #3, make a room with a gem workshop, create a dump, and dump the cut gem and the statue in the room, and use profile manager to attract the dwarf you want.  Then when everything is in the room, forbid the door and set the job.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions, relating mostly to military.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:10:00 pm »

2)  Yes.  The magma building options do not appear until you have discovered magma.  -Every- map has magma now, so you will be able to get these buildings if you go deep enough.  Best rule thumb is, whenever you discover a cavern, try and find some means that you can dig through without actually penetrating the cavern, and seal up your first breach.  You might have to do this a couple times - but it helps immensely in keeping you alive.