Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few comments and questions  (Read 1418 times)

Graygan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few comments and questions
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »

Ok... so I've recently come back to DF and I'm having a few problems figuring out all the new stuff(new to me anyways).

So I start my first fortress and am going along well... only picking up 2-3 migrants the first few times instead of the 20+ like in the past, but that's ok.

I've got my first squad of dwarves with military training, so no complaints when I recruit them and then disband the squad after they kill whatever the intruder is.

I've got my basic moat going, a well in a meeting room and working on a well for a hospital.

Now... For some reason, all my dwarves are dieing by bleeding to death.  They've not been in any fight or anything yet I've lost 90% of the population.  I'm not sure what the heck happened there so when the remainder started going nuts from grief(and still bleeding to death) I just abandoned and started again.

This time I discovered that the z-levels have been changed.  I can go way in the hell down... so far down I opened up a cavern where my 10 dwarves immediately got swarmed and killed from the damned spiders and a cyclops.

Next fortress... I discover the mass dump command and others... Thank you Devs... If you're ever in Chi-Town, let me know and I'll buy y'all dinner.  So on this one, I set up my well and when I go to pull the lever that lets the water in, it works like a charm.  Then I set the command to pull the lever again so I don't flood the place... the command is active as if a dwarf is working on it, but whoever it is didn't get to it... now all but 2 of my dwarves are trapped and about to drown... oh well... now for the next one.

The questions I guess are these..

What's with the bleeding to death?  Something to do with diseases?  How do I prevent it?  I've only just started trying to figure out the hospital setup.
The military I'll figure out eventually, I know enough to set up squads as needed and I tend to rely heavily on moats, drawbridges, and copious traps anyways, so I'm not too worried.
How do I get a command to be executed as quickly as possible?  I really don't want a repeat of the flooded fortress... that's just a pain in the rear.
Those caverns... can I flood them and kill off whatever is in them?  Or would it take forever?  Or are there endless caverns in them so the water will never fill it up?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: A few comments and questions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:00:59 pm »

Hi!

People have reported that the caverns usually touch the border, so you can probably not fully flood them permanently. Also note that critters there are said to respawn, and other, interesting things can appear in the caverns :) :)

Getting jobs done fast is still not really possible. You can only deactivate all other jobs (all jobs if you want levers pulled) and hope the resulting idle dwarf will act.

The bleeding to death is probably the thermic bug, which will be fixed in the next release. Basically, any hot environment (hot or scorching surface, tiles near magma) will cause any water to become so boiling hot, it will kill your dwarves. Because it was first encountered with boiling rain, people have called it "acid rain" before figuring out the real cause.

Deathworks

Graygan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:12:34 pm »

Hi!

People have reported that the caverns usually touch the border, so you can probably not fully flood them permanently. Also note that critters there are said to respawn, and other, interesting things can appear in the caverns :) :)

Getting jobs done fast is still not really possible. You can only deactivate all other jobs (all jobs if you want levers pulled) and hope the resulting idle dwarf will act.

The bleeding to death is probably the thermic bug, which will be fixed in the next release. Basically, any hot environment (hot or scorching surface, tiles near magma) will cause any water to become so boiling hot, it will kill your dwarves. Because it was first encountered with boiling rain, people have called it "acid rain" before figuring out the real cause.

Deathworks

Ah... Ok... That makes sense... They all started bleeding when they went aboveground in the height of summer and approached the walls.  I had embarked to a Hot climate.  Maybe it was a just a particularly hot month.  Either way, it's toast now.  I abandoned.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:28:40 pm »

Hi!

I forgot to mention, any water really means ANY water. If your dwarves got into rain beforehand or otherwise got some water splashes or coverings, they will cause that fatal bug to strike.

People here on the forums actually suggested building a defense based on this (basically a shallow pool of water intruders would need to walk through before moving past walls heated by magma on the other side).

Unfortunately, the next release may take a little as it will also be the merge with the new graphics. So, for the time being, your best bet is to stay away from any hot embark locations.

Deathworks

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:33:44 pm »

The best way to deal with levers who you don't want to just leave open or closed is this:

Put them in a room with a door. Set the "Pull Lever" task on the lever. When the Dwarf comes through to pull the lever, forbid the door. As soon as the water being fed in from your lever controlled plumbing is close to the level you want, set another "Pull lever" task to close it. Bored dwarf will run right over to work it (if not asleep). Unforbid door, and let dwarf "escape".
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:40:29 pm »

. Thank you Devs... If you're ever in Chi-Town, let me know and I'll buy y'all dinner.
You speak in plural, as if there were more than one person making this game.  You should know that DF is the work of one person, known as Toady One, and that is it.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 04:58:54 pm »

. Thank you Devs... If you're ever in Chi-Town, let me know and I'll buy y'all dinner.
You speak in plural, as if there were more than one person making this game.  You should know that DF is the work of one person, known as Toady One, and that is it.

Don't forget the other half of Team Adams.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:13:51 pm »

Don't forget the other half of Team Adams.
Scamps is vital, yes.