Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mac Foreman  (Read 2289 times)

mrbigmuscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mac Foreman
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:36:55 am »

Mac user here, also forum nooby.  I've attempted to use Mac Foreman with versions 40d18 and 19; and get the message "Dwarf Fortress is not Running!"  I've searched and don't know how to edit the offsets - if that's even the problem - in the Mac port of Macforeman.  Any help would be appreciated.  I've tried using the mac version linked from the bay12 website, but they eat 100% processor and are really slow, I would like to use the release here if possible: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50514

thanks a bunch for any help

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Mac Foreman
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:44:25 pm »

I never managed to get macforman working with 40d, although I have had no trouble running the mac native 40d# (or regular mac 40d). Using 100% of one core is completely normal and expected for DF--it expands to fit your computer. Slow however is a different issue. How do you define slow?

Make sure you're not trying on the new version, the 40D# merge hasn't happened yet, so you can't play the new DF31 on the mac without something like wine (relatively easy to set up).

This means that macforman probably won't work at all (I can't imagine that it has been updated for DF31 prior to the mac native release).

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:47:01 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

mrbigmuscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:54:30 pm »

Hi, thanks for replying.

What I mean is, the native version runs at a slower pace overall (e.g. a miner digs out 1 square per second); and eats 100% processor.  the version that runs with the "df" script does not consume 100% processor (on my dual-core Intel white macbook), and is both faster (more FPS, dwarf digs out 3 squares per second) and responsive.  Mac Foreman doesn't work with the "df" version though, so far.  Was curious if anyone had it working with the 40d "df" version, that's all.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 06:48:13 pm »

By df version, do you mean 40d with no numbers after it? If so, that's the one without graphical acceleration. It will always be slower.

That said there are ways of improving framerate. What system and fps do you get? You can turn on fps display in the init.

There maybe a config settings thread for macforman on the forum, I am unaware though.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.