Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I <3 Burrows This Much!  (Read 804 times)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I <3 Burrows This Much!
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:52:09 am »

I have had great success using burrows to set up base camp in the first cavern. As you might expect, there are some nasty creatures down there. Most of them don't pose a big threat to a fully armed and armored dwarf, but I had the joy of watching a giant bat grab a miner by the head, and proceed to rip it clean off.

Basically, I've set up a single burrow which encompasses all areas I expect my civilians to enter. I have a military of 4 axedwarves with bronze shields and axes, and steel platemail. They are scheduled to defend the burrows with at least 1 dwarf at all times. Any time a baddie wanders into the area, one of them runs over and hacks off a few limbs. If it's edible, it gets hauled back to the butchers, keeping my stocks full. The rest of the dwarves train and take care of themselves.

This is so much easier than 40d.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: I <3 Burrows This Much!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:25:51 pm »

Agreed.  The ability to designate a certain region as a safe zone, and then set an alert level that tells all my civilian dwarves "Drop what you're doing and get inside the safe zone NOW!" and actually have them listen and do it is one of the best features of the new release.  Makes defense much easier.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: I <3 Burrows This Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »

I'm currently playing Dig Dwarfier, and have embarked next to a chasm. I haven't taken care of all the giant ants outside yet as they are tough as heck, and I can't order my dwarves inside (and before anyone says anything, no, I won't wall myself in), so every now and then I get "Urist McMoron has been struck down" when some idiot wanders too close to the marauding beasts.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore