Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Project Freeze Over --SPOILERS--  (Read 5348 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Project Freeze Over --SPOILERS--
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:21:53 am »

I guess this finally deserved it's own thread, instead of tossing the posts around.
This project was created for the sole purpose of finding more efficent ways of killing demons, all short of Dwarven WMDs, and finding a way to bring them down to a proper amount. All of the tests in it have been performed in breached adamantine tubes.

1. Complete - breach hell with a full ballista/catapult battery behind the tube.

Kill list:
31 demons (with 18 unkillable ones damaged to all-red)
58 dorfs
7 war dogs
~250 cats (had a catsplosion mid-fight)
~20 random creatures sitting around I wasn't even aware of

Things learned:
  • Ballista bolts seem to damage creatures based mainly on the arrow head.
  • Slade is exactly ten thousand times more heavy than raw adamantine, with slade weighting 14000 Urists.
  • War dogs die easily, but Armok be damned if they don't get lucky hits.
  • Catapults damage based on weight of projectile. Tested with slade, which instakilled a demon. Seems to work like hammers.
  • 120 cats dumped into Hell CAN, and WILL, breed faster than they get killed. At least until you have 80 demons in the pit.
  • Steam-based demons seem to have a burn attack. Unsurprisingly, same applies to fire-based ones.
  • You can get undead demons. This is the only way you can kill a demon normally unkillable.
  • The amount of demons appearing from the pits seems to be proportional to the time you have the pit open and how many demons you killed.
  • Demons are immune to water, unsurprisingly, but it had to be tested.

Note: #8 is an estimate and needs more testing.

Summary: Battle was fought for two in-game weeks, and finally an unkillable demon forced his way past the defences. Attempts to kill him via cave-in were successful, but after him more poured in from the unprotected forge level. Catsplosion in hell was successful until demons were able to kill all the breeders.

2. In progress - Hallway of Doom
Basically a huge maze designed to make the demons walk along as many traps as possible before getting to a bait.

Progress:
30.04 -  I have stockpiled about ten thousand pieces of adamantine, raw, smelted, and/or in weapons, near a volcano. This was done using a series of region-wide mining outposts, entrances that had to be opened via cave-in, and an adventurer which dumped all these at the embark site. Currently smelting it into mechanisms and trap weapons, more specifically giant axe blades and serrated discs.
01.05 - Maze dug out, slowly creating traps and training mechanics to legendary. Got two adamantine weapon artifacts - a crossbow and a mace, both menacing with spikes of adamantine. I see it as a sign of Armok's approval. It is additionally strenghened with the fact that the crossbow is named "The Bearded Doom".
Value of both unknown due to lack of a broker with appraisal skills.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:23:14 am by LordSlowpoke »

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project [needs decent name] --SPOILERS--
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:31:25 am »

I heard that you can make poisons that only affect certain creature types?

Perhaps you could mod cats to put out a poison gas cloud that kills demons? Have it trigger necrosis, spread really fast.

Then the Catsplosion functions as a biological weapon.

Also, potential project names:

Operation Angel Wings

Operation Freeze Over

Operation Demonbane

Operation Devilpurge

Operation Geneva Violation

Operation Death by Kittens

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:57:55 am »

I heard that you can make poisons that only affect certain creature types?

Perhaps you could mod cats to put out a poison gas cloud that kills demons? Have it trigger necrosis, spread really fast.

Then the Catsplosion functions as a biological weapon.

Also, potential project names:

Operation Angel Wings

Operation Freeze Over

Operation Demonbane

Operation Devilpurge

Operation Geneva Violation

Operation Death by Kittens
Operation Katnip?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:05:42 am »

Operation Garden of Eden

Operation Lion's Roar

Operation Holy Water

Operation Blessed Cleansing

Operation Toxic Aslan

Operation Shall not Pass

Operation Balrog Stomp

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:08:11 am »

operation D.E.M.O.N.
Destroy
Every
Monster
Of
Nature
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:08:23 am »

Operation Freeze Over
I cast my vote for this.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »

Operation Freeze Over
I cast my vote for this.

Third way to kill all demons (or at least keep them from killing you): Embark in a freezing locale. Open a huge shaft above the pits. Dump in water. Watch things freeze.

Will only work if demons don't melt ice. Also won't work if, as I've heard, some demons evaporate all water within a few squares of them.

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:32:09 pm »

Operation Genoshatter

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:41:06 pm »

operation D.E.M.O.N.
Destroy
Every
Monster
Of
Nature
Nice.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Freeze Over --SPOILERS--
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:48:22 pm »

I decided to go near something resembling democracy and picked "Project Freeze Over".
Take notice that I consider encasing in ice/obsidian and cave-ins as Dwarven WMDs. Sorry if you wanted to see that.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:40:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure demons have TRAPAVOID, so your hallway of traps might need to be lever / plate activated spikes.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 01:47:10 pm »

Aw, I'm thinking encasing in obsidian may be the only way to deal with some of the tougher demons.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 01:50:39 pm »

I love Dwarven Science...just thought I should put that out there...
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 02:53:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure demons have TRAPAVOID, so your hallway of traps might need to be lever / plate activated spikes.
Seconding - the old demons of 40d had them, I'm fairly certain the new ones should have TRAPAVOID too. Best to try this out before using up your huge stockpile of painstakingly gathered Adamantium.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 02:56:29 pm »

Were the weapon traps effective?

If so, I'm thinking if you can mod it so that you can put any type of weapon trap component into either a standard weapon trap or an upright spear trap triggered by lever, you could pack a hallway full of adamantine giant axe blades linked to a reaper, doing slicing damage to everything trying to go through the hallway. This should hit even trap immune creatures as the trap is triggered remotely by repeater.

Adamantine spikes would not be effective against the unkillable creatures, such as undead things. This is the only reason why I'm suggesting adamantine axe blades or discs to get in the different damage type, which can cut them in two on a lucky hit.
Pages: [1] 2 3