Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing speed of "training" reactions?  (Read 618 times)

creidieki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing speed of "training" reactions?
« on: April 30, 2010, 05:37:28 am »

I've been looking at the mods which add training buildings/reactions.  I want to experiment with some of them, but I feel like I want training some skills (like the medical skills) to be slow.  Are there any flags to add to a reaction to increase the amount of time it takes, or decrease the 30-experience bounty?  Is requiring a consumable material my best bet?

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing speed of "training" reactions?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:43:43 am »

As far as I know, the only thing that modifies the training speed is skill level. Higher skill means the job gets completed faster.

I myself have training shops for doctors too, they will always train slow, but every time they gain the next skill level they'll 'learn' faster. So in essence they will do the training job faster and faster.

I don't think there's anyway to say how long a job takes. Hard coded I believe.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:57:07 am »

Only way to slow down production is to have it use several reagents, which the dwarf will have to scurry about collecting one at a time. I like to use ten plump helmets, since the current stack bug forces them to collect ten separate stacks (with ten trips to the stockpile), but then only use ten actual plants. (i.e. they collect ten stacks of 5, 50 helmets total, but then only use two stacks and put the other 40 helmets back.)
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:36:57 am »

You could have it spit out a poison that afflicts the dwarf with fatigue. Maybe pain, targetting the brain, and numbness targetting  their posterior (chairs are uncomfortable after long hours of studying)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 01:57:26 pm »

Actually I've noticed that it's already slower than actual tasks which require skills. You could lower training rates of the DWARVes, but that's the only thing I can suggest right now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:44 pm »

I remember reading something...

Hmmm I can't seem to find it again...

It listed dwarf skill rates. How quickly it goes up, how quickly it deteriorates and all that jazz.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!