Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to *really* forbid a cage trap?  (Read 689 times)

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to *really* forbid a cage trap?
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:04:51 am »

I've currently got two goblin pikemen sitting in the middle of my field of cage traps. I would like to prohibit any retarded dwarf engineers from trying to replace the cages in the traps behind them, until they either stumble forwards into the rest or decide to leave.

Advice?

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: How to *really* forbid a cage trap?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:28:02 am »

d-b-f and select all the traps (via mouse or normal designation selection) forbids everything in the tile, including mechanisms, cages, and contents.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:31:11 am »

Send out a recruit to lure them into the traps?

If you're using the new version you can also set burrows and have civilians stay in them during seiges/ambushes so they don't go out collecting socks.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:42:21 am »

A "civies stay inside" order is a serious pain to make with burrows but thats about the only way to do it.  Doors work too, if the army is already outside. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:47:56 am »

A "civies stay inside" order is a serious pain to make with burrows but thats about the only way to do it.  Doors work too, if the army is already outside.

Well, if you're creating burrows for the first time just to keep Urist McSockFetishist from getting turned into a pincushion outside, yes, it's a serious pain.  If you're using them for other things as well and already have sensible ones set up, they're not so hard.  They span z-levels as well, which isn't immediately obvious when you mark them.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 06:47:12 am »

You do realise that you could just send some civies over there. They will get within about 10 blocks of the goblins then just run away. Hopefully the goblins will chase them and run over any remaining cage traps. You do have more cage traps right?
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:00:39 am »

You do realise that you could just send some civies over there. They will get within about 10 blocks of the goblins then just run away. Hopefully the goblins will chase them and run over any remaining cage traps. You do have more cage traps right?
This was not an option because the goblins were standing just around a blind corner. By the time the dwarf noticed he was in danger, he'd be standing right next to them.

I resolved it this time by removing the job from that individual dwarf via the units list, but I was hoping for a solution that required less close control.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:58 pm »

d-b-f is the best bet as far as I'm concerned.  I forbid all my traps as soon as they're constructed and only unforbid them when I want the cages collected and replaced. 

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:50:07 pm »

You can also use T to inspect the contents of constructions and forbid the items individually.  IIRC, if you forbid only the mechanism, it won't be reloaded, but they can still retrieve the cage.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.