Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: THE MUD! dear god in heaven the mud is GONE!  (Read 1803 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: THE MUD! dear god in heaven the mud is GONE!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 04:13:50 pm »

Hi!

Mud is created in the game generally by adding water. So, unless you suggest that the water suddenly transformed into dirt 'mud' in the game refers to wet rock. Thus, if the water evaporates, the 'mud' status would be lost.

Deathworks

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 04:24:25 pm »

Mud in real life is wet dirt, thus rock cannot be turned into mud. So the water has to bring the mud, not create it. Toady is surely smart enough to know this.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 04:29:09 pm »

Hi!

Mud is created in the game generally by adding water. So, unless you suggest that the water suddenly transformed into dirt 'mud' in the game refers to wet rock. Thus, if the water evaporates, the 'mud' status would be lost.

Deathworks
You can have varying depths of "wet rock", anything from "a dusting" to "a large pile".  Making a tile wetter does not make it have more mud, but flowing more water past it, so more silt can settle, makes more mud.  In other words your extrapolation makes no sense.  Mud is mud, rock is rock, wet rock is not mud, and mud should not evaporate.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:30:43 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 04:39:40 pm »

Hi!

Interesting.
I have to admit that the last time I irrigated in this game has been quite a while ago. But I thought you could get muddy tiles by simply have dwarves bring buckets with water, even from a high quality, standing well.
So, now we need natural, flowing water?

EDIT: I mean no attack. I am just curious, because I thought I heard people mentioning the bucket method even when dealing with the 31 version. So, I would like to know whether there has been a change.

Deathworks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:44:13 pm by Deathworks »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 04:43:20 pm »

The game doesn't care what kind of water you use. The result is the same.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 04:46:26 pm »

This is nomenclature again. As far as DF is concerned, if it's wet soil, dirt or rock and you can stand on it, it's a mud floor tile. At Reclaim (or perhaps, at Abandon), the mud (and other coatings like blood and vomit?) get erased - makes sense both to save memory and to simulate time passing by the time you revisit the fort. Whether what DF calls mud is semantically correct with the academic definition of the word Mud is a completely separate question and probably not as interesting to most people.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 05:07:11 pm »

Hi!

Interesting.
I have to admit that the last time I irrigated in this game has been quite a while ago. But I thought you could get muddy tiles by simply have dwarves bring buckets with water, even from a high quality, standing well.
So, now we need natural, flowing water?

EDIT: I mean no attack. I am just curious, because I thought I heard people mentioning the bucket method even when dealing with the 31 version. So, I would like to know whether there has been a change.

Deathworks

Buckets work fine, its just not very efficient. Its fine for a small area, like a small farm. But entire caverns? Buckets just won't work. Not enough water.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 05:17:16 pm »

Hi!

Thanks, I just wanted to get that mechanism confirmed. Of course, using buckets to water an entire cavern layer would be ambitious, to say the very least (you would probably need a lot of nobles and a lot of micromanagement and clever terra-forming..... just thinking about this gives me a headache).

Well, I am at least relieved that should I ever try to do subterranean farming again, I can resort to the easy tricks (yes, the floodings in 2D left quite an impression on me :) :) :) ).

Personally, I think Psieye expresses my sentiments very well. And I think it would probably be upon abandon as the adventurer in adventure mode also starts only in the next month and not directly after the abandon, although there might be variance...

Deathworks

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 08:50:45 pm »

As far as DF is concerned, if it's wet soil, dirt or rock and you can stand on it, it's a mud floor tile.
Wrong.  They stay mud even when dry.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2]