Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: THE MUD! dear god in heaven the mud is GONE!  (Read 1807 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
THE MUD! dear god in heaven the mud is GONE!
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:19:12 am »

On a massive Underground cave complex I had a fort, going ok, but dwarfs picked off one by one and had to abandon.

I hit reclaim, go back, get down to the underground fort, start harvesting the plants and think "huh, the floor is pretty, you can see the rock colors. "

And then I go to build some new farms.. and can't and thats when I realize Every last tile of mud in the WHOLE cave is GONE 20 z-levels of underground is sweapt clean of rich mushroom growing mud!

This is on a Glacier embark so if I can make a pump down toward the lakes in the very VERY bottom im screwed.

Is this a bug? How did this happen?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THE MUD! dear god in heaven the mud is GONE!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:02:37 am »

Are you sure there was mud there in the first place? Sometimes there is not any.  I believe there is a glitch where mushrooms/tower caps/etc will still grow there despite there not being any mud and you being unable to farm there.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:10:19 am »

dude mang, i was growing crops for two full years before i had to abandon the foort, ever square was "brown" now every square is colored stone, its all GONE

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 01:18:35 am »

Reclaiming removes every bit of gunk in the fortress. Unfortunately mud is considered gunk, so reclaiming removes every bit of mud in the fortress...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:00:14 am »

Dear god yuou are kidding me... that.. thats horrible... I am so freaking screwed.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:26:35 am »

If you can make and place just one pump, you can run it manually to get some mud.  If you can drain one of the pools somehow, you can get water even faster.  You may have to live rather...deeper than you're used to, for a while.  Wall off a safe area.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:29:34 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 11:37:41 am »

Right now the only pools are over 60z-levels down. 
Sadly it looks liek Ill have to go down there.  Really hard to imagine all that stone everywhere, really going to miss the mud.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:47:40 am »

Awww, what a disappointment. When I've seen capital letters there, I was totally thinking the topic is about someone having started a MUD based on Dwarf Fortress ideas. And it's only about some farming issues :(

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:55:29 am »

Seems that reclaiming will clean up the embark, including mud. So yes you need to remuddy everything up. Its not all that hard to do though.

If you have a river or brook its extremely easy to do. Just carve a shaft from the surface to the cavern and pour water into the cavern, flooding it. The excess water will drain off the sides of the map but there should be plenty of water spilling all over the place, putting mud everywhere.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:26:21 pm »

Note his conditions: he's on a glacier (pools are useless there as far as I know) and he only has lakes 60 z-levels below his position. Also, because it's a massive cavern, there's no way you can muddy it all over again - which doesn't mean much for farming but is significant for growing wood.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:45:26 pm »

Note his conditions: he's on a glacier (pools are useless there as far as I know) and he only has lakes 60 z-levels below his position. Also, because it's a massive cavern, there's no way you can muddy it all over again - which doesn't mean much for farming but is significant for growing wood.

Do the pools connect to the edge of the map? If so then you have unlimited water. From there its just a matter of building a plumbing system and enough water reactors to power it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:48:23 pm »

If anyone else wants to report this, go Here.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 03:45:07 pm »

Hi!

Personally, I can see this to make actually sense. At least if only breached caverns are affected.

After all, until you breach the cavern, it is supposedly a closed environment where the humidity is preserved quite well. By breaching it, you allow the humidity in the air to leave and once your dwarves who bring humidity with themselves leave, the place can dry up.

Unless it has changed, reclaim starts the next spring, so you will usually have quite some time during which all the water may vanish (note that glacier cold does not affect underground warmth).

Deathworks

oneliquidninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 03:45:41 pm »

Awww, what a disappointment. When I've seen capital letters there, I was totally thinking the topic is about someone having started a MUD based on Dwarf Fortress ideas. And it's only about some farming issues :(

This.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 04:10:58 pm »

After all, until you breach the cavern, it is supposedly a closed environment where the humidity is preserved quite well. By breaching it, you allow the humidity in the air to leave and once your dwarves who bring humidity with themselves leave, the place can dry up.
Since when does dirt evaporate?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2