Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are Teachers/Students?  (Read 574 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are Teachers/Students?
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:52:17 pm »

I looked on the wiki, and the relevant articles are just recursive blurbs that basically say "Teachers teach students" and "Students learn from teachers".

What are they and what do they do for my fort?  Is there a Dwarf School now? (I couldn't figure out how to build one, and a wiki search on School turn up nada.)  Is this related to the Dormitory bedroom type?  Is it a Medical School thing, necessary for turning Dwarfs into doctors?  Will they need chalk? 

I'm confused and scared!  :'(

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: What are Teachers/Students?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:53:55 pm »

No, it's for teaching military.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:01:54 am »

No, it's for teaching military.

...Oh.  So, this is part of Training, then?  (Yikes the new military is complicated....)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:07:52 am »

Yeah, when you are on training, the highest skilled dudes will instruct the dudes in whatever weapon skill is used...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:37:01 am »

Bear in mind that in a squad, the member with the highest skill of a given type (e.g. dodging), will lead the demonstration, irrespective of his level of teacher/observer. in one of my current squads (a speardwarf squad), the captain is the better teacher, and gives dodging instruction (he has higher dodging skill), but the other member has higher spear skill so teaches that to the captain. strange, i know. finding a highly skilled dwarf that also has good teaching skill, and then putting good observers under him is the aim here i believe.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition