Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Suggestion/Complaint] Better Animal Sex Labels  (Read 3446 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Suggestion/Complaint] Better Animal Sex Labels
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:34:26 pm »

I'm not sure if this should go here or in bugs, since it's not (I don't think) a game malfunction, but is something small and annoying.  :-\

I finally downloaded the shiniest, newest version of DF recently and have been getting acclimated.  One of the things I noticed is that the game lets me choose whether to get a Cat or a Cat.  This ambiguity makes good livestock management more difficult; could there perhaps be a tag in the next update, like Cat (m) vs. Cat (f)?  Or even how about Tom v Queen/Cat, etc? o.o

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: [Suggestion/Complaint] Better Animal Sex Labels
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:43:10 pm »

uhm then your tileset sucks? it uses the male and female symbol on embark, its just missing on some places like the cage or chains ;)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:44:50 pm »

You could mod the raws to change there names to tomcat/nancycat all by yourself, and then not have to worry toady. If you like I could help you with such a thing.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:59:47 pm »

You could mod the raws to change there names to tomcat/nancycat all by yourself, and then not have to worry toady. If you like I could help you with such a thing.

Ah, bless you, kind sir!

The problem isn't actually the embark screen; (for some masochistic reason I decided to start with Play Now).  When I got the chance to Make Requests from the Outpost is when I noticed the vagary.  Then when I had to trade my fort's meager pittance for one breeding animal and was faced with two identical cages, well....

So what do I do?  I've never really modded games before, unless punching in cheat codes somehow counts.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:09:49 am »

Ah, well welcome to a great big world of fun. Modding has become a national past time among DF fans.

First, in your Dwarf Fortress file, there should be a folder called 'raw', this is where all the game data is kept. Open this up, and then open up 'objects'. These many text documents contain all the information for all sorts of things involved in Dwarf fortress.

Now, open up the file called creature_domestic. This file is specifically for domestic animals like cats. Hold Ctrl + F and type in (Or copy and paste) [CREATURE:CAT]

This will bring you to the start of the 'cat' profile! On the forth line down it will say [CASTE_NAME:cat:cats:cat]
Delete this, you don't need it any more.

Now start scrolling down until you find [CASTE:FEMALE]
Directly under it will be a single tag that says [FEMALE]
Under that, but before [CASTE:MALE] add [CASTE_NAME:nancy cat:nancy cats:nancy cat] preferably using Tab to keep it indented, but not needed.
You can change it from nancy to anything you like really.
Now, go down to male and add [CASTE_NAME:tom cat:tom cats:tom cat] in between [MALE] and [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]

This should name male and female cats separately! If you hit any troubles, please don't hesitate to ask for more help.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:14:03 am »

Although before I forget, this will only mod any new games you make. To mod a current game, firstly close dwarf fortress if it is currently running.

Now open the folder that says 'data', and then 'save' and finaly the folder containing the save you want to mod. Don't worry about Current. Open this folder, and there will be a folder inside it called raw. Once you have found this, the same steps as above apply.

Its just that easy.

Pathos

Re: [Suggestion/Complaint] Better Animal Sex
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 07:43:28 am »

I also vote we have better animal sex.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:54:28 am »

U can look at the creature in the cage and see sex.  Just look at cage then creature.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 10:54:48 am »

To clarify this, the game normally indicates male and female with the standard ♂ and ♀ symbols, but those symbols are also shared by bags and amulets respectively, so some tileset authors thought it would be a good idea to change them to look like those things instead. Personally I think that's kind silly, but the long term solution is for the game to support tilesets replacing things more selectively. For now, one option would be to change the bag tile back to something that looks like a male symbol.
Akur Akir Akam!

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »

Ah, well welcome to a great big world of fun. Modding has become a national past time among DF fans.

Cool, thanks! =D 

Out of curiosity, why does the singular appear twice? (cat: cats: cat)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 09:39:07 pm »

Cool, thanks! =D 

Out of curiosity, why does the singular appear twice? (cat: cats: cat)

The last one is the adjective (e.g. cat leather).
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 10:10:16 pm »

Yea, that's a good point. Because the third is an adjective, you might want to make it just cat, so that you still have cat leather rather then tomcat leather.

I don't think you want to know what gender the cat was when you eat the biscuits.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 08:38:21 am »

To clarify this, the game normally indicates male and female with the standard ♂ and ♀ symbols, but those symbols are also shared by bags and amulets respectively, so some tileset authors thought it would be a good idea to change them to look like those things instead. Personally I think that's kind silly, but the long term solution is for the game to support tilesets replacing things more selectively. For now, one option would be to change the bag tile back to something that looks like a male symbol.

Entirely true and will be a bit of an issue with the name change in the raws (duplicated data), but I think this particular problem is that as far as 0.31, the embark and trader screens don't show genders at all, not even as bags and the like. I'd assume that's just oversite in Toady's part and will be rectified in one of the bug fix releases.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 08:43:57 pm »

Entirely true and will be a bit of an issue with the name change in the raws (duplicated data), but I think this particular problem is that as far as 0.31, the embark and trader screens don't show genders at all, not even as bags and the like. I'd assume that's just oversite in Toady's part and will be rectified in one of the bug fix releases.
Umm, yes it does. It clearly says "dog, ♀", "mule, ♂" etc, on the embark screen at least. I can't check a trader as easily.
Akur Akir Akam!

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 10:33:25 pm »

Umm, yes it does. It clearly says "dog, ♀", "mule, ♂" etc, on the embark screen at least. I can't check a trader as easily.

:O  Did that change since 0.31.01?  Because I remember it now being on there, but it totally is now that I generated a new world.  Oops.  I apologize.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession
Pages: [1] 2