Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I vote we visualize!  (Read 1066 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
I vote we visualize!
« on: April 29, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »

There have been multiple visualizers created for DF .40d, the hard part has already been done, how come no one has thus far been willing to update any of them?

It's driving me nuts, especially considering my first megaconstruction to date was made in 2010.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:53:35 pm by DarthCloakedDwarf »
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: I vote we visualize!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:51:58 pm »

It's driving me nuts, especially considering the first megaconstruction to date was made in 2010.

...Uh? Not sure where you've gotten that from. I don't believe anyone's finished a construction-based megaproject in 0.31 yet. But Stonesense (see the modding subforum) is very close to getting a version compatible with 0.31 out, and Visual Fortress (see this subforum) has been abandoned by the creator but is open source for anyone who wants to update it.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:54:21 pm »

...Uh? Not sure where you've gotten that from. I don't believe anyone's finished a construction-based megaproject in 0.31 yet. But Stonesense (see the modding subforum) is very close to getting a version compatible with 0.31 out, and Visual Fortress (see this subforum) has been abandoned by the creator but is open source for anyone who wants to update it.
Sorry, I meant MY first megaconstruction... hurr...

And Stonesense is isometric. I cannot stand isometric.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:37:09 pm »

Others may not favor it, but I'm quite eager to see Stonesense finished. I quite like the eight-bit look of it.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:44:41 pm »

Well if you'd prefer not to use Stonesense, then I'm going to have to point out that making a visualizer isn't really a matter of 'voting,' nor is it as easy to update a visualizer as slapping on a '>compatible_v0.31' line or something in the code (though similar workarounds have been used for utilities like Reveal, I believe). The game's been hugely updated in terms of programming, though things may appear the same, thus visualizers need to have their code substantially updated as well.

Again, Visual Fortress' working 40d version is open-source. If you'd like to work on it yourself or organize a team of people who would (there was some interest in doing so in the relevant thread), by all means - many people including myself would appreciate a 0.31 version of VF! But simply saying "Hey guys, why haven't you made me a visualizer yet?" is not really an effective course of action.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:51:16 pm »

...oh.

I mean, various tools like Reveal have been done, so it seems like it should be easy to just update the existing visualizers.

If I had the foggiest idea how to make anything for DF, I'd have done this myself by now.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:09:26 pm »

Though I have nothing to do with the projects themselves reveal just needs to find one variable or flag or whatnot and then change it to a 0 (or a 1 whatever the number is to make it non hidden)

The visualizers need to be able to identify water, magma. ground, open space, walls, floors, ramps and stairs at the bare minimum.  For it to actually look good it needs to know what the stuff is made of, whether it has grass, whether there is snow on it, how deep the water or magma is, is the wall a fortification, if there is a tree in the tile, if there is a building in a tile, what that building is, what that building is made of and countless other little tiny details.  Finding all that stuff for a visualizer takes alot longer than it takes to find a single variable.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:28:30 pm »

I see. So, since this post hasn't been helpful, who should I talk to to get this done?

I'd happily volunteer my 3d knowledge and ability, what little there is, to the task.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:33:05 pm »

The mods forum is a good place to start, as a lot of tools are discussed there, it seems. Perhaps even moving this post there, though I'm unsure how to do that myself. Likely it's under the 'additional options' for the OP.

I'm quite sure people are working on converting the tools, though they may not be screaming that they're doing it as they do not want people nagging them to get it done. :D We all love our DF tools, but new changes take time to adapt to, and from what I can tell, 0.31 was a MAJOR overhaul when it comes to how things are organized in memory. Dwarf Therapist still hasn't quite recovered, and had to drop its military support entirely.

It's going to take time for these tools to catch up.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:35:43 pm »

The mods forum is a good place to start, as a lot of tools are discussed there, it seems. Perhaps even moving this post there, though I'm unsure how to do that myself. Likely it's under the 'additional options' for the OP.
Done.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:41:53 pm by DarthCloakedDwarf »