Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Captains of Guard should have a use for their offices.  (Read 956 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Captains of Guard should have a use for their offices.
« on: April 29, 2010, 08:03:47 pm »

Every position that needs an office have an use for them, except the Captains of the Guard. There is already a system of injured parties and criminals, and that is good, but it looks like things just happen by telepathy. It should be more like the other positions:

1) The injured party, or a witness, comunicates the transgression to the Captain of the Guard, in a meeting on the office;
2) The Captain assigns a officer to deliver dwarven justice, using his office;
3) Justice is delivered.

The final result wouldn't change, but it would look more consistent with the other positions (mayor, managers, etc).

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Captains of Guard should have a use for their offices.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 03:47:13 am »

Should the manager skill be used?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:04:35 am »

Yes, and Organizer, and maybe Record Keeper. As it is now, the captain of the guard is just another soldier who have special requeriments. They should have demands too - for example, requering an specific weapon or armor.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:26:03 pm »

Record Keeping seems redundant and makes you question what the hell manager Organizer skill does if you need another skill just to make the related notes.

Reducing the Captain of the Guard into clerk duty seems a bit menial though. Makes you picture some fat, hairy guy in his underwear signing arrest warrants. When I think captain of the guard, I think the guy who commands the defense/police force in an established city and wears armor to work. Do we even have a fortress/royal guard anymore anyway? Regardless, if we have him do civilian jobs like this, we should remember that it means he can't be a soldier at all anymore.

I don't much care for demanding a specific piece of equipment. I can see there being general morale benefits to fancy uniforms though, for the guardsmen and otherwise. I think the whole concept of different types of militia needs to have its dents banged out before we can really start to make sense of this. I don't think militia men should have fancy schedules and whatnot available to them going by the meaning of the term militia itself. "Militia" should just be an emergency button for drafting civilians, fancy controls should be reserved for the guard. Not entirely sure how to handle the police matters though, I suppose an individual squad or guardsman could be toggled to handle justice matters as they arise. Assigned hallway patrols leaving their posts to detain a criminal wouldn't pose problems. Captain of the Guard would use the Organizer skill to make the patrol routes, new stations etc in addition to handing out arrest forms. Naturally, soldier and civilian duties overlapping would still pose a problem unless you make your clerk handle the job. I could see the men having a problem with a pencil pusher with no military experience handling the defense plans.

Still can't think of an excuse for our good captain to wear plate while he sits on his desk.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:44:15 pm »

The question is, why does he need a office then?

The menial tasks would be like hastily done, but he just would need to sit at his office. If he was busy outside being a hero, so bad, the justice would have to wait.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:34:10 pm »

Reducing the Captain of the Guard into clerk duty seems a bit menial though. Makes you picture some fat, hairy guy in his underwear signing arrest warrants. When I think captain of the guard, I think the guy who commands the defense/police force in an established city and wears armor to work. Do we even have a fortress/royal guard anymore anyway? Regardless, if we have him do civilian jobs like this, we should remember that it means he can't be a soldier at all anymore.

Any command position is as much paperwork than anything else, with the percentage of paperwork to not-paperwork increasing with rank.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:45:13 pm »

Any command position is as much paperwork than anything else, with the percentage of paperwork to not-paperwork increasing with rank.

Yes, and also, we have militia commanders to act as officers in the field. As captain of the guard and superintendent of justice, deskwork should play some part in his existence I feel.

An alternative might be to have some noble in charge of justice and the assignment of punishments. The player might assign this position to the Captain (the same way Mayors are often also the Bookkeeper and Manager) or have it assigned to a civilian Judge (the Hammerer is more like an executioner-warrior and furthermore leads the Royal Guard). A little side functionality is the  thwarting of justice by the failure to appoint a civilian judge.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod