Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Have Two Scabs On My Hand  (Read 3724 times)

Pathos

I Have Two Scabs On My Hand
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:21:42 pm »

Right, about a week ago I noticed a patch of dry skin on my hand. It was a bit unsightly, but I figured it was due to my recent lack of light, so I just ignored it. However, about a day or so ago, a lot of it sloughed off, except for two little bits which look like something cut into my hand and left gaping holes which have scabbed over. Or, something bit it ( something around the size of a mouse ) and left these holes.

So, I have a question for you, Life Advice, have I been bitten by a miniature vampire whilst I've been sleeping?

( I am deadly serious about the two scabs, though, they're really odd. )

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: I Have Two Scabs On My Hand
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:24:19 pm »

How big are the holes?

These holes could match up with a spider or any number of insects, I have occasionally found bite marks on me, along with a raised patch of skin due to toxins.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Pathos

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:26:41 pm »

How big are the holes?

These holes could match up with a spider or any number of insects, I have occasionally found bite marks on me, along with a raised patch of skin due to toxins.

I'd say about 3mm diameter

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:00 pm »

You probably have annihaltotus
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:49:40 pm »

Pics, or it didn't happen.

On a more serious note, it's probably just some mild eczema or something. Dry skin can lead to that pretty easily for some people.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Pathos

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »

You probably have annihaltotus

You just made that up. =(
Pics, or it didn't happen.

On a more serious note, it's probably just some mild eczema or something. Dry skin can lead to that pretty easily for some people.

Nope, it's definitely a cut + scab.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:04:02 am »

Pictures would be very helpfull, but I can say that a lack of light shouldn't cause your skin to fall of, it can cause a decrease in pigment but if you ingest enough vitamine D there should be no other physical problems.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:26:04 am »

Could be something fungal- I'm getting something similar on my fingers and right foot.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 06:07:08 pm »

I hjad a black spot on my toe a long time ago, so I stabbed it with a thumbtack. While probably not the smartest thing I've done, it did allow me to see that some odd black fluid was trapped in there. It wasn't very fluid though...

Anyway's, It sounds like something similar to that.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »

^ Sounds like a blood blister.  Those are pretty normal, though they can hurt like hell.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 06:58:27 pm »

didn't hurt exept for when I violently stabbed myself with a thumbtack. This should be expected.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 07:02:45 pm »

didn't hurt exept for when I violently stabbed myself with a thumbtack. This should be expected.

Well, I think it's usually based on size/pressure.  If you're the sort of person who pushes around on things, it's more likely to hurt--but yeah, if you leave it alone, you usually won't feel it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pathos

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 07:20:55 pm »

I hjad a black spot on my toe a long time ago, so I stabbed it with a thumbtack. While probably not the smartest thing I've done, it did allow me to see that some odd black fluid was trapped in there. It wasn't very fluid though...

Anyway's, It sounds like something similar to that.

Nah, I've had something like that happen after I stood on a sea urchin. I didn't manage to cut it all out, (I was working with a pair of nail trimmers) and three weeks later I had a massive swelling on my toe with the last of the grime / spine in it. I dug the spine out.

They're nothing big, just really odd. Especially how close together the two cuts are, and how I can't remember cutting myself. I might've got bitten, though.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:17:19 pm »

If it starts getting necrosis-y, you can be fairly sure it's a spider bite.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 04:47:07 pm »

If you're worried, and you can go in (you have insurance in the US, or you're lucky enough to live in one of the other industrialized countries in the world), then go in and get it checked out. If there is infected material, resist the urge to clean it out before your appointment, because they can run tests on a culture of the nasty junk and diagnose something. Otherwise they might just give you antibiotics and see what happens.

And yes, upload picture. Nobody wants to see it, I'm sure, but honestly I'm sure it's not that bad. Not like the stuff you see when people post really gross medical pictures. Does it look like someone just came by and magically removed two little patches of skin? It's probably something keeping you from healing over properly, but who can tell whether it's fungal, or a glandular thing, or a virus, or bacterial, or a toxin.

My answer is usually to clear away anything that's not live skin, hit it with rubbing alcohol, and put a bandaid on if it's bleeding much.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic