Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Advice on Mega Construction  (Read 4603 times)

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Mega Construction
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 08:34:55 am »

I would also think about how to set up a mobile village.  What shops/depots/rooms you MUST have just to survive and as you move from construction site to construction site, move this village around.  For example, always have a large dining room stocked with good food and booze near the site.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 10:34:56 am »

any advice on big constructions will be welcome :)
10. or that you can't construct stairs down over empty air,
You can, now. I built down into a Deep Pit on my map. >_>

jarganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 10:56:54 am »

And not to hijack, but does anyone know about how one can maximize sky z-levels? It seems in .03 there are only about 15 levels above the highest point on the map.

I've heard that in DF2010, the map resizes if you build up, to be constantly about 15 levels above the highest ground or construction.  I haven't built up though, so don't take my word on it...

Not sure about that, but I know you can set aboveground height in the worldgen parameters. 15's just the default.

in init\world_gen do [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:60] or however high you think you are going +10.  Max is 100 though.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:46 pm »

OP said he's working in 40d.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kartik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 03:30:01 pm »

OP said he's working in 40d.
Nope. didn't. atleast not from what i can derive from the post.

btw i updated with a blueprint :D

Kartik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 04:44:59 am »

any more advice`?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 06:29:04 am »

post pictures.

lots of them.

Kartik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 06:30:10 am »

could you specify what you mean with me posting pictures?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 06:32:25 am »

I'd rather like to see how this all turns out, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Pictures would be nice.

Kartik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 06:46:20 am »

heh. at the moment this is in the planning phase. i think i begin a fort later today and then it will take a few years to get migrants enough that i feel confident to begin on the wall :)
But there will be lots of pictures. i'll create a new thread when i start on the project itself

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 09:31:51 am »

As for a visualiser, I suggest Stonesense. It works with DF31.03

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 09:59:19 am »

Don't forget to produce at least some trade goods; clothing or bone crafts are a good bet since the necessary raw materials are easily obtained, but any kind of stone or metal that you don't need for the project itself will do as well. Exported wealth helps attract migrants, and once you get two or three Legendary craftsdwarves you can cut back heavily on domestic food production.

And since you're still on .40d, go with 3dwarf. Stonesense can't really capture the sheer epic scale of a megaproject in the same way.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Kartik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 10:30:06 am »

Don't forget to produce at least some trade goods; clothing or bone crafts are a good bet since the necessary raw materials are easily obtained, but any kind of stone or metal that you don't need for the project itself will do as well. Exported wealth helps attract migrants, and once you get two or three Legendary craftsdwarves you can cut back heavily on domestic food production.

And since you're still on .40d, go with 3dwarf. Stonesense can't really capture the sheer epic scale of a megaproject in the same way.

i dont know why people keep thinking i use 40d :O i use 2010 but yea. thanks

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 12:46:53 pm »

Why 3dwarf when VisFort works just as well (if not better) on 40d##?

Kartik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 04:38:39 pm »

some slight problems. dont have a visualizer that works properly to display my sites greatness. it has a huge mountain a waterfall and plenty of tree for now. im saving the map externaly so i can go back and get the before picture when 3d visualizer comes out to this version
Pages: 1 [2] 3