Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Advice on Mega Construction  (Read 4590 times)

Kartik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Mega Construction
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 02:40:34 am »

i have now embarked and as soon as anything interesting comes up i make a new thread about my fortress. i had to rush a butcher shop cause i accidentally took 2 cats with me... i hate when they breed

Kartik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 04:44:12 am »

Got a pic of what my embark spot looks like. unfortunatly not in 3d
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:46:04 am by Kartik »

ThiefofTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 06:21:17 am »

I have in previous forts where I did large aboveground constructions, that I preferred to build the constructions with blocks rather than stones. It beats carrying stone from the depths to the surface.
For this, I had a quarry, where i got dolomite from. I had a reasonably large stone stockpile (about 8x8 I think) next to two masons workshops. Full time stone haulers would haul stone from the quarry to the stone stockpile, which could be customised to only take whatever stone you're using at the time (In my case, Dolomite).
After that, full time block haulers (different dwarves to the stone haulers) would haul the blocks from the masons workshop to a moving block stockpile closer to the build site (in some cases inside the scaffolding of the build site). Other 'masons' (who never got any skills higher than maybe dabbling in masonry, because constructing walls, stairs and floors doesn't use skill and doesn't need skill) would do the actual construction.

I suppose you could do it with just stone stockpiles by the build site, but they don't hold as many stones as a block stockpile can hold.

Kartik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 07:31:16 am »

yea. thanks.
im establishing a foothold in the region first. my first migrat wave was of 6 because i didn't start making crafts early enough >.<

edit: second wave was even worse. only 5
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:03:26 am by Kartik »
Pages: 1 2 [3]