Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: random question  (Read 417 times)

mopstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
random question
« on: April 29, 2010, 04:28:25 pm »

Is it just me or is every one else experiencing a crash every 1 to 2 seasons that pass.Sometimes it crashes as soon as i load up the file.i have started new forts and it happens to all of them.Any one have a solution  :(

Also just to ask why does my militia commander only do individual drill with himself while the squad waits in a different room for him.

Rapidfirewombat

• Bay Watcher
  • Size: 8
    • View Profile
Re: random question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:59:43 pm »

The new release is still pretty buggy, so I wouldn't expect anything as stable as 40d for a long time.  I do get seemingly random crashes a lot as well.

The military is one of the buggier parts of the game in the new version.  The best advice I can give you is to keep your squad inactive unless you actually have a threat to your fortress.  Other than that, I have drafted dwarves into the military and it took them months of dwarf-time to actually go equip themselves start training, so maybe the rest of the squad will figure it out eventually?

I would consider going back to 40d until the next release, or maybe the next two releases come out.  We've seen what DF2010 can do, and we're all excited about the new features, but it's currently too buggy to really get a serious fort going.  For me, at least.

mopstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:03:41 pm »

hes legendary in shield, Armour,sword,fighter,dodge ,stats are all extremely high his personality traits have seemed to max out except for healing....but he has adamantine stitches.so why is he not passing on any of this knowledge >.> his squad are all like hurp durp in another room while hes kicking ass and sprinting the map in seconds.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:11:19 pm »

I've had only one out-of-the-blue crash so far, but I've avoided using the military, soap, and hospital systems completely.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Rapidfirewombat

• Bay Watcher
  • Size: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:11:52 pm »

Dwarves will try to pass on their knowledge if the squad is active and their orders are to train, but that's a whole other can of worms.  It requires the organization skill, which is rare for dwarves to have, and hard to level.  Then you have to mess with the orders to have a minimum of dwarves to train at any one time, to minimize the risk of dwarves starving to death while they're waiting for a training class that never starts.  In theory the squad leader should be the one to organize a training class, but I've had multiple dwarves in the same squad trying to set up training classes at the same time, so that kind of sucks.  Plus, in my version at least, I have never seen a training class actually succeed, so it seems that might be bugged as well.

At least you have one awesome dwarf.

mopstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 05:14:42 pm »

but thats the thing he taught them when he was less skilled like 7 in a class and after a period of time it would end with all their dodging or fighter increasing but now he stands in his own room while the squad waits in another and i havent changed any of the settings.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 06:45:12 pm »

Training takes forever, I managed to get a entire squad of elite axedwarves just by stationing them inside the first cavern floor.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:14:50 am »

Hi!

I have only done very little with my military (like hunting away a kobold thief who wouldn't leave, or trying to stop my first troll (^_^;; ), so I can't give in-depth information there.

As for stability, I have not had any problems in the game, even though I am successfully using hospitals and soaps (but also encountered the respective bugs there), have used a little bit of the military (including the death of my militia commander, who was only drafted as a gap-filler anyway). The only crashes I have encountered occasionally were crashes after saving, so no harm was done.

Deathworks

mopstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:52:49 pm »

lol now hes on the ground surrounded by 29 goblins id taught he would die by now he is invincible all red broken but all stats to do with combat are now legendary.he would die even though hes had his head pierced with a spear and twisted.he is not unconscious either which makes me think is it because he has reached a level unreachable than in 40d of being totally invincible(not against magma or weather of course) hes only in iron armour but now he has started to grow attached to his equip.Currently 1 year and a half have gone by with him fighting this loosing battle. :(