Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vertical Magma Pump 100 Z-level HOWTO?  (Read 1495 times)

raptor1770

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Vertical Magma Pump 100 Z-level HOWTO?
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:52:47 pm »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to DF and I'm working on my first semi-successful fort. I dug down and found the magma sea but I am now baffled as to how I'm going to pump it up 100 levels to where I want it. I've been reading other threads and it seems that it isn't that hard but I figured that instead of my usual trial and massive error method I could ask for a simple walk-through on how I should do it so as to avoid charred dwarf flesh.

So any and all help is appreciated!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vertical Magma Pump 100 Z-level HOWTO?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:06:09 pm »

The exact same way you create any other pump stack. Just build it taller and give it more power to supply the larger number of pumps.

You can pump it 10 levels, 100 levels, or 1000 levels. Its all done using the same method, just keep repeating it.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:15:48 pm »

The wiki has pretty straight forward information on making a pumpstack, here is a picture.
http://df.magmawiki.com/images/b/ba/PumpStack2010.png

raptor1770

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 03:20:23 pm »

Ahhh I see. I love that technical diagram lol. What can I make the corkscrew and pipe section out of that won't be destroyed by the magma?

Thx again.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:24:37 pm »

well, here's a list of magma safe materials in the current version.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_safe

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:29:22 pm »

Step 1: Accept the fact that you will fail the first time you try.

Step 2: Check out the wiki.  I see I got ninja'd on that one.  The information on there is general, and does not address concerns specific to pumping magma very well.

Step 3: Figure out what magma-safe. means.  You don't want your stack to crumble down because you used a marble block in one of the pumps.

Step 4: Build up from the bottom.  If you stack pumps so that they transmit power (like in the example on the wiki) then each pump may only be placed if there is already a pump underneath it.  For the same reason, if one of your pumps gets knocked out all the ones above it will immediately deconstruct.

Step 5: Make sure it doesn't leak.  I wish I could give you some more specific advice.  But I'm 97% sure you've screwed something up if you're doing this for the first time and trying for 100 levels.

Step 6: Build in fail safes.  One lever to kill the power to the stack, one lever to close a hatch over the bottom intake square.  These things pump magma FAST.

Step 7: Check your work.  t through every single pump to make sure there are no parts that are not magma safe.

Step 8: Fun.

Step 9: Rinse, repeat.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:07:31 pm by Graebeard »
At last, she is done.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 04:17:19 pm »

Step 7: Check your work.  q through every single pump to make sure there are no parts that are not magma safe.

Its t, not q.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 05:16:48 pm »

Indeed it is, thanks for the correction.
At last, she is done.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 05:33:10 pm »

Thanks for links and suggestions, I was just pondering how to bring magma 13Z levels up!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 06:04:35 pm »

Thanks for links and suggestions, I was just pondering how to bring magma 13Z levels up!

13 blocks, 13 corkscrews, and 13 pipe sections, along with 130 available power.

:)

That'll get you your 13Z levels of transfer. For magma make sure to use a magma safe material, like iron. If its just water you can use anything, including wood.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 07:30:51 pm »

13 blocks, 13 corkscrews, and 13 pipe sections, along with 130 available power.

:)

That'll get you your 13Z levels of transfer. For magma make sure to use a magma safe material, like iron. If its just water you can use anything, including wood.

Thanks! In all honesty that wasn't a question, but a statement. However, my typed language failed.
Ahh, the fun of setting up a power station....

Let's hope those gorillas by the river won't mind company.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 09:07:05 pm »

If you don't wall off the pump stacks from the stairwell be sure to have at least 2 doors between the area the magma's going to go through and the area you don't want magma. Tried building something like this in 40d to make a fake volcanic eruption and after pressurizing it a child went and opened the door (thought I had them all forbidden). His corpse got stuck in the doorway and the lava flowed out uncontrollably, leading to fun.

!"Hmn, this door feels hot, I wonder if there's candy behind OH GOD THERE'S A VOLCANO IN MY FACE!!!!"!