Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 40d: Why do my Champions suck?  (Read 1088 times)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
40d: Why do my Champions suck?
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:43:50 pm »

I'm struggling to understand this. I've read game threads where champions become unstoppable killing machines, but mine just seem incredibly weak.

I've got 8 champions. All of them have masterwork steel cap, helm, gauntlets, greaves, mail, plate, and shields. At present they do not have masterwork weapons, I'm still training that - but they have normal quality iron spears or crossbows. And when they fight just a few goblins, they inevitably get badly injured. I have one with a mangled leg, and another with a broken arm. The leg occurred in sparring, and the arm happened when 4 of them were fighting 5 or 6 goblins one at a time in a pit (I had captured them in cages).

Are they supposed to be this weak? All of them have stats of 10+ in toughness, agility, and strength as I cross-trained them in wrestling, hammer, crossbow, spear, armor use and shield use and they are legendary across the board. All of them have lots of kills and long names, but they invariably take injuries and if I didn't have strong trap defenses my fort would have been overrun years ago.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d: Why do my Champions suck?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:07:32 pm »

Are they legendary wrestlers?

A completely naked legendary wrestler can utterly destroy an entire goblin siege.

A dabbling wrestler wearing masterwork adamantine armor will have a lifespan measured in seconds in 40D.

In 31.03, its the other way around. Armor is far more important than skill in 31.03. In 40D armor is almost useless.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:09:11 pm »

In 40d, anything less than a legendary wrestler can't dodge a snail.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 03:18:00 pm »

The spears probably don't help. Particularly if they spend 12 turns twisting their iron spears in the Goblings right foot, big toe.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:29:53 pm »

In my experience, war hammers or maces are the best 40d weapon. I could be wrong though.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:34:04 pm »

Yeah they all trained to 15+5 in wrestling right off the bat. But before I had weapons for them I sent them out into the first goblin siege wearing leather armor and they were all slaughtered, mainly by crossbow goblins. But even when there were no ranged attackers they still died really quickly and I had to savescum. This is what I don't get, I was under the impression that a few champions should be able to handle a siege, but my guys - despite loads of training - are pussies. :(

I had some of them with silver training hammers for a few seasons but it didn't make any difference to the spears.

Is it possible the local goblin civ is training up incredibly strong guys of their own? I don't know if they get different titles but there was one elite bowgoblin leading a siege and he killed 4 of my champions who were firing crossbows from 2 z-levels up behind fortifications (I savescummed again and locked up until I had some traps in place).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:47:30 pm »

While armor wasn't particularly important in 40d, shields were critical - without them, it would be up to the dwarf to dodge every single attack (which doesn't work very well in crowded situations).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 03:48:33 pm »

They have masterwork steel shields and legendary shield skill.

I guess it's just the RNG being nasty :(

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 03:51:04 pm »

what about the 3 main stats?

maybe they are not agile for some reason

if they are, and they do have shields, then make sure if you are not playing as elves

also check if you have all the elven/human shit forbidden
even if you have masterwork bling armor , your champs may decide to go in with -oaken greaves-
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:54:50 pm by Z1000000m »

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 04:00:40 pm »

Nah, I set up an armory with an exclusive useable steel masterwork armor stockpile, got them naked, locked them in and armored them up. Then I checked each individual inventory. They're wearing masterwork steel everything.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 04:04:40 pm »

maybe you can provide a vid presenting your military and a random battle

im sure theres an obvious mistake somewhere

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 04:08:59 pm »

Ok that's a good idea. Next time there's a siege, I'll send them out and make a movie.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »

Do note that crossbows are nearly broken in 40d. Even with shield and armor, if a shot gets through, it will mess up the dwarf. When my champions charge a group of enemy archers, normally one of the archers will get a shot through that hits in the heart/both lungs and kills him/her. Bow goblins are to be treated with extreme caution.

While legendary+5 wrestling champions are normally pretty much invincible otherwise, two circumstances can eventually overcome that ability. The first is exhaustion (becoming over-exerted), and the second is being surrounded. So some degree of tactics is also important to fighting, so that your champions don't get surrounded and isolated from each other by too many enemies.

Also, spears tend to get stuck in wounds, leading to disarmed dwarves, who will then fight with wrestling, which takes longer to kill the enemy and gives them the chance to get in a lucky hit.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 05:06:20 pm »

Yeah they all trained to 15+5 in wrestling right off the bat. But before I had weapons for them I sent them out into the first goblin siege wearing leather armor and they were all slaughtered, mainly by crossbow goblins.
Crossbow goblins pwn anything but crossbow dwarves.
But even when there were no ranged attackers they still died really quickly and I had to savescum.
What were their attackers?
Is it possible the local goblin civ is training up incredibly strong guys of their own? I don't know if they get different titles but there was one elite bowgoblin leading a siege and he killed 4 of my champions who were firing crossbows from 2 z-levels up behind fortifications (I savescummed again and locked up until I had some traps in place).
I suppose it's possible you're getting one super-goblin in there though I haven't heard of such a thing.  Stupid uber-dwarfness or not, I'd still try giving them proper armor and weapons.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 06:06:16 pm »

Even a single champion can be taken down if he's overwhelmed. Try to have groups of dwarves all attacking at the same time so no one single dwarf gets surrounded and overwhelmed.

This is why 100+ dabbling wrestlers can take down a megabeast eventually. The lucky hits they get in just keep adding up until it finally downs the megabeast.
Pages: [1] 2