Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Sleeping on the job  (Read 449 times)

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Sleeping on the job
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:14:56 pm »

So in the previous version (not .31.03, the one before that) of Dwarf Fotress, I have been building a generally nice fort.  Things have gone well enough, and project Excavate A Ton Of Area for Fun has been moving along.  Periodic raids from a nearby goblin civilization have been a minor nuisance at best, being quickly dealt with by my team of champion dwarves, and their plucky sidekicks the Not-Champion squads.  However, at the outset of the most recent invasion, I was puzzled as my military dwarves weren't responding to my orders to intercept the goblins well outside the fort.  I found all three squad leader sleeping in the barracks with the other dwarves sparring around them.  I checked the squads on duty status and they should be out there, trouncing the goblin scum.  I am puzzled why my commander has remained asleep for about 2 in game weeks now as far as I can tell and refuses to lead his dwarves to the surface to remove the goblin infestation.

Unrelated to the first issue, but I've also noticed that in the latest version, a group of trogs appears to be distracted with endlessly applying a non fatal beating to one of my dwarves who wandered down into the caverns where they live.  They've been at it for a season now, and the dwarf is still alive.  I sealed the cave off since I have no military to speak of (has a guide for the new military system been compiled?), but at this rate I think I might be able to recover him if they take long enough. 

Tsuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Sleeping on the job
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:38:45 pm »

You didn't really ask a question but anyway can't you just remove the bed the sleeping dwarf is using to wake him up?

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:40:13 pm »

Both these are known issues.

To the first :

I'm presuming you're playing with 40D.  and this is a known issue that was one of the many reasons for the new military setup.  The simple answer is, in 40D, don't have squads.  Squad orders are solely dependent upon the squad leader, and if the squad leader is eating/drinking/sleeping, your whole squad is off duty.

To the second :

Again, a known bug with wounds, though personally I'm not exactly sure how it happens.  However, more than likely, if you press view and look at your dwarf, he's -severely- damaged, with all his organs and limbs destroyed.  If the Trogs move, he'd probably die instantly.

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:47:24 pm »

You didn't really ask a question but anyway can't you just remove the bed the sleeping dwarf is using to wake him up?

I removed the bed.  He promptly moved to the next bed over.

I'm presuming you're playing with 40D.  and this is a known issue that was one of the many reasons for the new military setup.  The simple answer is, in 40D, don't have squads.  Squad orders are solely dependent upon the squad leader, and if the squad leader is eating/drinking/sleeping, your whole squad is off duty.
Will the dwarves if made into their own individual squads still spar together and such in the barracks?

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:53:35 pm »

I removed the bed.  He promptly moved to the next bed over.

Will the dwarves if made into their own individual squads still spar together and such in the barracks?

Again, if you're in 40D, yes.  Individual dwarves in 40 D will spar with each other if not in squads together.  I -never- did squads in 40D, simply because of the problem you're talking about.