Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expedition Leader, can you influence who is chosen before embarking?  (Read 2810 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I ask, because in my current game, my woodcutter was chosen as the leader.  I'm in a cold biome and he happened to be crossing a frozen river to chop wood.  As luck would have it, Spring arrived and he fell into the water and drowned :(.  I made sure to set all frozen ponds and rivers as restricted terrain after that, though now I'm worried about the future of my fort.  I can't assign any new nobles, like the manager.  I don't have the option yet to choose arsenal dwarf, despite having 54 dwarves, but luckily they're equipping on their own just fine so far.  The wiki on this issue isn't current, but the previous version mentions that a new leader/mayor will show up eventually.  Does this still hold? If I do abandon this fortress, are there social skills I can choose for a specific dwarf that will make it more likely for him or her to become the Expedition Leader?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition Leader, can you influence who is chosen before embarking?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:51:50 am »

Any organizational or social skills will help. I always have a starting dwarf with novice appraisal and organization, and that dwarf is always selected as the Expedition Leader.

As for your other problem, check the modding forum. Deon found a workaround for nobles not being reassigned on death, although I don't know if it'll work for your current fort or if you'll have to gen a new world for the changes to go in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »

Yeah, I always get my mechanic chosen, becaues he has 1 in appraisal/book-keeping/organizing and two other skills i cant remember right now. But he is always picked.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:41:37 pm »

Any organizational or social skills will help. I always have a starting dwarf with novice appraisal and organization, and that dwarf is always selected as the Expedition Leader.

As for your other problem, check the modding forum. Deon found a workaround for nobles not being reassigned on death, although I don't know if it'll work for your current fort or if you'll have to gen a new world for the changes to go in.

It should work without a regen, it's just an alteration to the nobles already present in the files, not adding new ones.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:42:24 pm »

Any social skills should do the trick, actually. I often have leaders that are pacifier/liar/consoler/judge of intents - they will learn organizing and appraisal quickly enough on their own.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:14 am »

Hi!

Actually, there are some social skills that take priority, like persuader, I think. You see, I also hand out organizer to my manager, and judge of intent is prerequisite for the broker for me (as it is the applicable skill). By giving a dwarf those skills that make them work in an argument or popular has thus far always given me the expedition leader I wanted, even if other dwarves also had social skills.

Deathworks