Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Do you think hell has too many demons? (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 49904 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think hell has too many demons? (SPOILERS!!!)
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2010, 02:44:26 am »

According to my studies of the raws, there are indeed greater and lesser demons, carrying the [UNIQUE_DEMON] and [DEMON] tags, respectively.  Greater demons are "twisted into humanoid shape" and capable of escaping hell and leading nations.  I'm not sure if there's any physical power difference, though.  They're the same size, at any rate.

How did you access said raws?
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2010, 03:50:06 am »

Heh, why bother putting "SPOILERS!!!" in the title when the title actually gives it away?

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2010, 10:49:01 am »

Am I the only one who wants to BE the demons?

Urist McStalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the fortress. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Stokosh were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Urist was a miner for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the miners and he said to dad "I want to be on the miners daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the mining station fortress of the Abbeys of Knives he knew there were demons.
"This is Stokosh" the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So John gotted his pick and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the demons
"I will shoot at him" said the cyberdemon--An enormous cockroach. It has red eyes and is grossly fat. Beware its poisonous gas!--and he fired the poisonous gas. John pickeded at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted
The radio said "No, John. You are the demons"
And then John was a skeletal dwarf.

What the tits?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2010, 02:11:29 pm »

I like the new, massive army of demons. While releasing the demons in 40d was more like a (very gory) inconvenience, this sort of feels like it has more magnitude. Besides, when you break into the very heart of chaos itself, anything less than hilariously brutal death is a disappointment.

(PS - By "heart of chaos" I am, of course, referring to Dwarf Fortress)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rrroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2010, 04:13:38 pm »

Has anyone ever made a completely isolated fortress and THEN released the demons? You know, as the ultimate defense?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2010, 06:07:45 pm »

Demons can all fly. If it is physically possible to go anywhere without mining, demons can. Might as well wall yourself off from the world.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2010, 08:27:46 pm »

Has anyone ever made a completely isolated fortress and THEN released the demons? You know, as the ultimate defense?

Yes. They didn't survive the atomic lag bomb
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2010, 11:39:26 pm »

I think fighting a seemingly infinite supply of demons is not about culling their numbers to acceptable levels, but rather killing them, and keeping on killing them fast enough to keep them from spilling to the outside world (or the insides of your fort). Think of Hell as a river, and the demons are the water (or magma?) that flow out of that place. It's about flow management. Should the flow stop or slow down at some point, good. If not, oh well. What's the downside?

Yeah, that's right, what's the downside of millions of vicious demons attempting to ravage your dwarves and the rest of the world.

All one needs is enough dwarfpower to handle the demonflow, right? Have 2-3 squads and rotate them. What could go wrong? (What could -possibly- go wrong!?)
I.. uh, well, now that I think about it, I suppose the countless demon parts cluttering places might pose a problem. I have to admit, I've never reached Hell in DF version 31.0x .

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2010, 01:50:58 am »

It's Thermopylae and we're the Greeks, but we don't always have better soldiers and can't use bottlenecks to stop them. Not to mention the numbers being more in their favor than at Thermopylae.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2010, 11:18:27 am »

It's Thermopylae and we're the Greeks, but we don't always have better soldiers and can't use bottlenecks to stop them. Not to mention the numbers being more in their favor than at Thermopylae.

'More in their favour' here meaning an infinite number of them for every one of us...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2010, 11:58:08 am »

Does this forum have 300 members yet?

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2010, 12:08:13 pm »

Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
What's infinity minus one? Minus ten? Minus a thousand? Minus a million?

Infinity is still infinity.

But it's a smaller infinity.  The ultimate goal of any proper dwarf is to whittle down the infinite until it's manageable.  This endeavor chas produced some familiar results: Planepacked was an attempt to model and comprehend infinity; Dwarves have learned how to use an entire tree to make the tiniest of objects and leave no remains; they build statues of flies; quantum stockpiling; even mining itself is a reflection of this drive.
Negative. That's assuming infinite is a number.

It isn't. It's a state. Infinity - 10 equals infinity.
Actually there are different sizes of infinity, there are infinite universes, and within those there are an infinite number of planets where humanity evoleved, however this is a smaller amount than the first amount, the amount were darwin exists are smaller still, and the universes where he finished the origin are infinitly small compared to the first number but still infinite.

quantomhurts

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2010, 12:22:27 pm »

Megaproject: Hilbert Hotel
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9