Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stone dumping  (Read 831 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
stone dumping
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:34:14 am »

I created an outside dumping site and designated a lot of stone for dumping.... when i checked back later there is a line of stone from the entrence to my fort all the way to the dumping site.. its all in the way and my dwarfs ignore it no matter what i tell them... is there anyway to get this stuff the rest of the way to the garbage dump?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: stone dumping
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:58:14 am »

in (o)rders menu turn switch "dwarves ignore outside refuse".  if that doesn't work, they might be forbidden, or scared of a groundhog nearby or something.  If that doesn't work then I have no idea. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:09:07 am »

yes that's most likely it.

they went outside with stones in hand and dropped them because they were interrupted by some creature.
so now that the stones are outside, they won't be touched anymore unless you change that option.

note that it'll also cause your dwarves to run wild and go all over the place to pick up junk from outside to move it to refuse stockpiles so make sure you turn it off again when you're satisfied.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:14:00 pm »

You probably tried it already, but I have found that if I deselect dump and reselect it, they often (not always) proceed to dump the offending object (usually stone).

My refuse piles are getting pretty huge since things aren't rotting properly.
igless

Bluebreaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:37:28 pm »

Dig a hole to the sea magma from the fortress level and dump stones and refuse there?

by the way, hi. First post =P

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:28:39 pm »

Dig a hole to the sea magma from the fortress level and dump stones and refuse there?
The problem is that there is a lot more magma-safe stone now, which presumably doesn't melt. Back in the old days (40d) you'd be crazy to throw bauxite away like that, but now you might throw something away without even realising it's magma-safe.

Bluebreaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 11:08:57 am »

The problem is that there is a lot more magma-safe stone now, which presumably doesn't melt. Back in the old days (40d) you'd be crazy to throw bauxite away like that, but now you might throw something away without even realising it's magma-safe.
Well just for testing purposes I dumped some iron, steel bars and adamantine wafers (which are supposed to be magma safe) into the magma sea, when they hit the bottom, Magma Flow, the items just banish.

cecilkorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:06:37 pm »

Yep, Magma flow works exactly like the old bottomless chasms, in my experience. In fact, you could do the same in 40d if you dropped stuff (even iron and bauxite) into the middle of a magma pipe, which also had "magma flow" tiles at the bottom.

Be warned though, if you start taking magma out for your own purposes and cause the sea (or the magma pipe for that matter) to start needing to refill itself and you have a channel directly above a magma flow tile, there is a potential that you will get occasional bursts of lava spewing up that channel. In my experience, the more you drain it, the faster it will try to refill itself, and the greater risk of lava bursts will be. Once the sea has refilled itself to solid 7/7 at the top, your channel should be safe again, but this can take an inordinately long time.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:20:25 pm »

by the way, hi. First post =P
Oh if all you want is to get rid of junk, then it's much faster and simpler to build an atomsmasher facility - bridge and a hole where dwarves drop stuff for the bridge to do its work.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.