Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Doors vs Floodgates  (Read 1543 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doors vs Floodgates
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 04:46:15 pm »

..or a 2-tile wide aqueduct, for that matter.
Doors only need one wall to attach to.  I make double door halls all the time.  (I have not tied them to a lever to try to hold back water, but I imagine it would work the same as a single door.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 08:48:14 pm »

Are there any pathfinding issues when using lever operated doors?  personally I use floodgates mostly out of misguided traditional sentiment, but also as a visual que as to the 'portal's' purpose.  I also like to put a lot of grates in my water channels, mostly just as a way to use up stone though.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 11:13:18 pm »

Are there any pathfinding issues when using lever operated doors?
No! They behave exactly like floodgates but without a 100-tile delay. Dwarves do not pathfind through them!

..or a 2-tile wide aqueduct, for that matter.
Something that you will never build if you understand how water works. Water using natural horizontal flow is tediously slow, and pressure pathfinding e.g. from a pump only needs a 1-tile-wide passage to find its way to the other end of the map. Making the aqueduct contain more tiles just means you'll waste a lot of water filling the aqueduct instead of sending it to the destination, thereby slowing things down.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.
Pages: 1 [2]