Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The fortress attracted no migrants this (and last) season.  (Read 582 times)

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The fortress attracted no migrants this (and last) season.
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:18:37 am »

Last 2 seasons I have attracted no migrants. My first 3 waves were good - 7, 6, then 22.  But now I'm receiving none.  My trade liason visited and we did the agreement thing but the trade caravan still hasn't arrived. 

Any ideas on what is going on? 

Thanks!
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fortress attracted no migrants this (and last) season.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:33:22 am »

Don't worry, this is normal. It is the large migrant waves during the first year that are abnormal, but common.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:04:13 am »

Alright, thanks for the swift reply.  Is it normal for the trade caravan to have never shown up even though it's been a long time?

I don't have a ton of experience in DF but I've never had this happen before.  The elves and humans have come and gone twice with no visits from the dwarves.

fudgejudge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:57:47 am »

Are you in a location that can support dwarves?

Sometimes in specific biomes and conditions dwarves will not come.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:51:11 am »

Honestly I'm not sure.  How could I tell?

Although at this point it isn't such a big concern if the traders come or not since I have finally discovered flux 37 z levels below my fortress.  My only concern now is getting more dwarves, which hopefully will happen one of these days.

Thanks again!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 04:59:09 am »

If you press "c" and look at your dwarven civilization, does it then say that this civilization has no significant leaders?

Migrants coming only for the first few seasons and the caravan never appearing sounds like your civilization is dead. This is quite common in this new version, because the worldgen runs so long and the megabeasts are so strong.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:29:32 am »

Honestly I'm not sure.  How could I tell?

surefire way of telling it is pre-embark. When you select a location for your fort, you can tab through various menus. one of them shows the available civilisations for your choice of location - if dwarves didn't appear on that list, then as noted, the civ either cannot reach your site or has been obliterated in world-gen.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:11:05 am »

This is incorrect. The dwarven civilization will always appear in the list on the embark screen. Even if they are dead. And no landscape is unsuitable for dwarves, in any case.

What you were looking for on the embark screen is the blue omega sign, indicating the capital city of the civilization of your choice. If there wasn't a blue omega, but instead a white µ, then your civilization is dead.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 04:14:03 am »

I stand corrected - ta.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition