Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals in the dining room  (Read 1267 times)

HecticHippo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Animals in the dining room
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:28:58 am »

Hi I'm new to this game so forgive me if this is a stupid question >?>
Anyways, I can't seem to get my animals to go into my animal stockpile. All they do is run around in my dining room (which I have set as my meeting hall as well). How do I go about getting the animals to behave?

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals in the dining room
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:35:37 am »

The animal stockpile is used for animals in cages. If you want your animals to behave, you can put them in cages, tie them up to restraints or pit them. To pit them, dig a two story room with doors on both levels, and designate a pit zone over the open space. Lock the bottom door, and pit animals to make them stay in the bottom room.

Side-on, you want the room to look like this:
Code: [Select]
######
#  _D_
#___D_
######

HecticHippo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:39:20 am »

Ok thank you! I'll try this.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:57:18 am »

If you're not caging animals or throwing them into a pit, "tightly-closed" doors are a simple, if ultimately unreliable alternative. Also, it may be worth bearing in mind that animals, like dwarves, are attracted to areas and zones designated as some sort of meeting or congregation area, and unlike dwarves, they obey the inverse of any traffic control designations (so if you make the tables in your dining hall low- or restricted-traffic, most of the stray cows, mules, horses, dogs, etc. in the fortress will immediately go there and clamber all over your tastefully-arranged furniture).
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:24:00 am »

Tight doors dont always work...Urist McCook enters door. Door opens... Stampeeed!!!!!

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:04:22 am »

Tight doors dont always work...Urist McCook enters door. Door opens... Stampeeed!!!!!
..."tightly-closed" doors are a simple, if ultimately unreliable alternative.
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

HecticHippo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:39:05 pm »

Yea I've tried doing the tightly closed doors but, as you said, they are unreliable. I can't figure out how to cage the animals or designate a pit for them:/.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:49:15 pm »

I don't have any personal experience of animal pits, but cages are simple enough: [ b]uild them as you would any other workshop, bit of furniture, or what-have-you, and once constructed, use [q] to look at the cage's building menu and use [a] to find the animal(s) you wish to cage and assign them from there.

[edit: The forum code apparenly no longer requires an end tag to bold text, which makes putting b for "build" in square brackets a risky proposition. Silly BBCode!]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:51:25 pm by soup_alex »

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:22:11 am »

Animals in cages will not breed, so if you want to have a meat industry then you will need to use a pit or lots of restraints. If you don't want animals at all, you can get rid of them by butchering - build a butchers workshop and go through the animals list on the stocks screen ([z], select 'Animals' and press enter).