Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Return the option to forbid dwarves to go outdoors  (Read 6342 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Return the option to forbid dwarves to go outdoors
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:54:41 pm »

No matter what I do I inevitibly get a highly skilled, yet highly stupid (or drunk?) dwarf who decided to wander around the map and get itself killed.  I rarely if ever had this issue in prior DF versions.

I took one look at burrows and promptly developed a headache.  Can we have the old functionality back?  Everyone can go outdoors, nobody can go outdoors, and military only can go outdoors?

After watching my expedition leader chase a warthog for 5 minutes complaining about not being able to pick up an item due to a warthog, even though he has no hauling duties...  The warthog was near death and moving slowly.  It knocked my no fighting skill leader out three times, briefly, then finally, when the leader managed to wrestle the warthog to death, he went chasing after a vulture complaining that now the vulture was keeping him from picking up a item...  At that point I just ended the game.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Return the option to forbid dwarves to go outdoors
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:45:43 am »

Perhaps instead of changing it back, some reasonable default functionality could be implemented. The game could automatically define some burrows (such as outside, dug/constructed areas, cavern 1, etc). Then there could be some default alerts such as "Nobody Outside", "Nobody Cavern 1", "Only In Fort", etc. That way you don't have to stop and define all the burrows the first time you need to restrict your dwarves. Instead you just have to enable one of the default alerts.

Note that the game would need to allow the player to modify the burrows and still automatically expand the burrows when the map changes (due to construction/digging).

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:53:50 am »

Burrows are much better if you just bother to learn to use them. If you want dwarves to stay in a safe zone, setting it up won't take long and allows you actual control as to where that zone is, something the old system couldn't do. You can even set up fortified outside areas as safe now.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:42 am »

Some more burrow functionality would be nice however. Currently you can only restrict dwarfs to burrows, but in the future it would be handy to be able to restrict them *from* burrows. This would allow you to simulate the 'stay inside' order easily, by placing a burrow over the surface and restricting all dwarfs from it.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 01:21:37 pm »

Some more burrow functionality would be nice however. Currently you can only restrict dwarfs to burrows, but in the future it would be handy to be able to restrict them *from* burrows. This would allow you to simulate the 'stay inside' order easily, by placing a burrow over the surface and restricting all dwarfs from it.

That can be done currently by creating a burrow containing everywhere except where you don't want them to go, then set the current alert to only that burrow.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:29:13 pm »

That can be done currently by creating a burrow containing everywhere except where you don't want them to go, then set the current alert to only that burrow.

The main problem is that you can't set burrow in unexplored / undug areas, so you will have to update it all the time when you dig something.

I am all for the option to restrict dwarves *from* certain burrow. Sounds simple and very functional.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:48:28 pm »

It takes just some clicks to set a burrow in a safe area for your dwarves. Really, I can't understand some people. If you aren't willing to learn, go play the old version, with all its pro and cons.

Some advantages of burrows over the old method of forbidding dwarves:

1) No entrance dance;
2) If your fortress isn't the standard under-the-mountain, dwarves who were outside can go in as ordered;
3) You can free some expendable dwarves (for rescuing dwarves, for example)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 06:33:55 pm »

The main problem is that you can't set burrow in unexplored / undug areas, so you will have to update it all the time when you dig something.

I am all for the option to restrict dwarves *from* certain burrow. Sounds simple and very functional.

Actually, you CAN define a burrow over unexplored/undug areas. When you finally dig it out, dwarves will then be able to go into the new area. The problem is that you cannot tell where these "unexplored" burrows are. There is no indication on screen until the area is undug/explored.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:16:01 pm »

I don't think the poster is arguing that burrows should be removed, but they are very tricky to master for a new player (such as myself) who already has so much to learn. An option like the one sugested above where outside/caverns/'inside' ect could be automatically selected would be extremely helpful to the newer players.

catsplosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 02:07:24 am »

Automatic burrows for outside and each cave layer coupled with the ability to keep a dwarf out of a particular burrow would do everything you need.  Throw in the ability to make a burrow grow into any cell that gets dug out from the burrow, and you have the flexibility to do everything you've dreamed of.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:39:38 am »

...cant we still just make some doors locked? 

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 01:55:47 pm »

Snall, you still need the "forbid going outside" to get all your dwarves (and animals) outside to go running inside when the ambushers/siegers show up.

Although, it is a very big pain to have to keep going back and adding in the new layers you have added in but Burrows do give you more precise control over who goes where, which is something DF players have been putting on top of their wish list for a very long time.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 03:31:47 pm »

If you organise your burrows properly, only the hunters, woodcutters and maybe some haulers will be outside in a dangerous place anyway.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 10:54:23 pm »

If you organise your burrows properly, only the hunters, woodcutters and maybe some haulers will be outside in a dangerous place anyway.

You have the choice of assigning people to burrows, or creating an alert burrow.
organizing burrows properly means having to individually set a ton of dwarfs to certain burrows and updating those lists every time immigrants come.
Every time you dig it requires modifying the existing burrows to allow haulers, craftsman, diggers, etc access to those areas.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 12:48:48 am »

I for one would love if burrows would be like:
do not cross here! It is the boundary between you the the goblins stupid!
Pathing would count it as a wall
All settled!
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."