Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?  (Read 10725 times)

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2010, 05:47:15 am »

I like the new changes very much. Toady seems to completely understand what "Oh shit, we just dug into hell!" should entail.

Massive loss of fps!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2010, 06:07:01 am »

Well you know how people say five minutes in hell seems like a thousand years?
Now you know why...

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2010, 06:28:44 am »

I like the new changes very much. Toady seems to completely understand what "Oh shit, we just dug into hell!" should entail.

Massive loss of fps!

Indeed.  It shouldn't be meta-game reasons that it destroys the fortress, after all.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2010, 07:55:08 am »

Can the demons walk off the map once they reach the surface? That could be amusing.

And now I come to think of it, shouldn't opening a portal to Hell be a siege trigger if you somehow survive that long? You'd think your neighbours would be a bit upset about that sort of thing.

Hell, make it be like, 6 siege triggers. Elves, humans, (maybe) goblins, and all of the beastmen races. Throw in a titan or two.
This idea doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. If anything, your neighbours should be sending Reinforcements.

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed at the stupid dwarfs opening a portal to hell too. But you know, with all those demons swarming up out of that hole, I think fighting the *dwarfs* would be the last thing on my mind. And if the dwarfs actually plugged the hole, or successfully held all the demons at bay, then I wouldn't really have any incentive to invade. Hell, especially if they kept them at bay. You do not want to mess with the dwarfs who *won* the war against hell.

Maybe if it were possible to actually win against the demons, and neighboring civs had sustained damage over it, *then* they can consider military conflict\compensation demands. But these things should happen for reasons, and the only reason I can think for a civilization to siege you over letting the demons out, is if that civ is being *led* by a demon, one who has personal interest in seeing hell break loose. Even then that should be a test of his leadership and dominion, since 'demons are flowing out of the pit, let's help them!' should strain any demon lords cover.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2010, 09:10:15 am »

Can the demons walk off the map once they reach the surface? That could be amusing.

And now I come to think of it, shouldn't opening a portal to Hell be a siege trigger if you somehow survive that long? You'd think your neighbours would be a bit upset about that sort of thing.

Hell, make it be like, 6 siege triggers. Elves, humans, (maybe) goblins, and all of the beastmen races. Throw in a titan or two.
This idea doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. If anything, your neighbours should be sending Reinforcements.

Reverse siege, maybe? Where they appear as friendlies instead of hostiles?
I can only imagine 20 squads of humans arriving in their best bronze armors, the first thing you think of is "oh shit" and then you realize that they storm right into the pits and kill the demons.
Also, I'd lol when I see goblins fighting their demon overlords. Maybe even they would turn friendly when they realize that if they don't fight them, they're fucked. I mean seriously, the warlord is probably a lesser demon who barely made it out by pure luck, and suddenly some place in the world pops out what is the ultimate challenge to your authority (implying that Hell works on a primal hierarchy of the strongest ruling them all).

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2010, 11:05:37 am »

I'm sort of surprised that nothing burrows yet.

I mean, there are a few things that destroy structures (including walls or no?) - but pretty much nothing that digs, even at a very slow rate.

Having goblin siege engineers that could very slowly burrow - or a breed of demon that could burrow at a decent rate - would make sieges a lot more interesting, and would make breaching Hell a lot more decisively bad, rather than just killing you via FPS hit after you wall them off.
Toady talked of it at one point (Dwarf Talk I think) - 2 problems: 1) pathfinding and 2) aesthetics (which ok, should just be a worldgen parameter to switch on/off). Pathfinding calculations kill FPS as bad as it is, if it also has to factor in the possibility of destroying terrain...
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]