Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?  (Read 10724 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2010, 06:53:30 pm »

Can the demons walk off the map once they reach the surface? That could be amusing.

And now I come to think of it, shouldn't opening a portal to Hell be a siege trigger if you somehow survive that long? You'd think your neighbours would be a bit upset about that sort of thing.

Hell, make it be like, 6 siege triggers. Elves, humans, (maybe) goblins, and all of the beastmen races. Throw in a titan or two.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2010, 06:59:24 pm »

I could never breach hell and get away with it
my fps goes from 45 to 1 and I end up save scumming.
:(
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2010, 07:09:56 pm »

I could never breach hell and get away with it
my fps goes from 45 to 1 and I end up save scumming.
:(

I *think* that's only if you wall off hell, and they keep pathing and failing over and over. If they have actual access to your dwarves, that's another matter.

Then it's just a simple issue of building a weapon that can kill an infinite horde of demons.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2010, 07:13:54 pm »

Other demon-induced fps problems are [BUILDING_DESTROYER] and [AMBUSH].

The game has to constantly check the squares around every demon for two things: one, whether there is a building that can be destroyed adjacent to the demon; and two. whether there is a creature that can uncloak the demon adjacent to the demon. I remember back in 40d I removed [BUILDING_DESTROYER] from the fleet of giant olms in the underground river, thus regaining me ~20 fps in one fell swoop.

I almost can't wait for demons to re-enter my modding grasp so that I can swiftly rectify these complications.

EDIT:

Wouldn't self-repeatable water freezing trap work against demons? At least if you have no water-boiling ones?

The idea is:
Embark in a freezing climate. Have a long corridor filled with water for demons to path through. It must be "outside" so water can freeze. Below the corridor have a magma cistern with a retractable brigde on the bottom. Wait for the demons to come, open the bridge, drop the magma, have the water freeze together with the demons. Then close the bridge, pump the magma back so the ice melts. And repeating mechanism. Have fun!
Am I missing something?

To truly weaponize this, make five or more corridors, all on repeaters, constantly active, so that at least one corridor is always primed and ready to receive victims, and at least one path to your fort is always open.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:17:31 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2010, 08:24:46 pm »

Someone should consolidate these threads (yes, I know I just linked to this thread -- I'm making a point :P )...

Consider this a cross-post.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2010, 09:29:37 pm »

I would want to run a magma curtain down in the depths to take care of anything temperature sensitive (are any of the demons?)

You have just one pump stack cycling magma for the hallway giving numerous intermittent magma-falls. For guys that walk you need to install some steel floor bars but that won't matter for any demons. This ends up wetting everything that goes through it, at least things that move at normal rates. Speed 1 creatures might get through some  of the time.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2010, 03:29:30 am »

i breached hell and felt i was doing pretty well, killing a large number of the strange things coming out of my 4 by4 stairwell which i had managed to dig a largish space around before my miners all ran off. there were things that were trying to freeze my soldiers, but they were dying fast enough that the soldiers were recovering. i had 2 groups of soldiers that i figured i would cycle, with all masterwork armor and weapons in steel, i got empatent and didnt have the adamantium ready yet.

then something called a graphite man came climbing up. he discharged a cloud of cavein dust in all directions that knocked everything silly. two of my dwarves fell to their deaths straight down all the stairwells and into hell itself, and the others all went everywhere along with whatever demons they happened to be fighting. fps was slow enough that i could see the cloud forming, and tried to make my dwarves run away but they were too damned homocidal to heed my futile cries and i didnt think of turning them back into civilians.

another horde of demons came out and began brutalizing all the unconcious dwarves, pretty much wiping out my first squad of 10. last thing i remember looking at before the game crashed due to pure awesome insanity was the splattered corpses of the two dwarves who had fallen into hell, aparently surrounded by little crouds of the easier to kill demons (one eyed three tentacled things made of shadows or somesuch oddness). really looked like their bodies were getting swarmed and devoured.

so, from that experience you could probably hold back hell for a quite a while and maybe wipe out the first massive wave. unless you get something insane from your worldgen coming out, and depending on the aparently random number of demons that spawn when you crack it open. dropping water and magma down the hole to make masses of obsidian would probably be the easiest way to go, and might wipe out a considerable number of the starting wave. modding dwarves to be stronger, bigger and much faster would probably help a lot. and fighting a small stream coming out of a single small entrance would be a lot easier then on the ground in hell itself.

as for walling the place up, hell has more then one z level, and those glowing pits are really really big. plus you cant build constructions right on the edge of the map, and demons would almost certainly come from off map and hang out in the little unwalled area, still destroying your fps.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2010, 07:55:39 am »

What is all this talk about walling off hell? If you breach hell, it is time for a full-force military rush.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2010, 08:37:50 am »

What is all this talk about walling off hell? When you breach hell, it is time for a full-force military rush.

Fix'd that for you.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2010, 10:09:14 pm »

I'm sort of surprised that nothing burrows yet.

I mean, there are a few things that destroy structures (including walls or no?) - but pretty much nothing that digs, even at a very slow rate.

Having goblin siege engineers that could very slowly burrow - or a breed of demon that could burrow at a decent rate - would make sieges a lot more interesting, and would make breaching Hell a lot more decisively bad, rather than just killing you via FPS hit after you wall them off.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2010, 10:13:14 pm »

As a note, if I were planning to withstand Hell for an extended period of time, I'd route the swarm through a long, broad corridor lined with a continuous sequence of constantly operating atom smasher bridges - I think that ought to keep them at bay regardless of numbers, and should keep their numbers from escalating to the point where your CPU chokes out.

Maybe. :)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2010, 10:30:44 pm »

I believe goblins build underground roads, do they not?

There would be nothing cooler then having an entire army of goblins suddenly tunnel into your food stocks.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2010, 11:14:24 pm »

Can the demons walk off the map once they reach the surface? That could be amusing.

And now I come to think of it, shouldn't opening a portal to Hell be a siege trigger if you somehow survive that long? You'd think your neighbours would be a bit upset about that sort of thing.

Hell, make it be like, 6 siege triggers. Elves, humans, (maybe) goblins, and all of the beastmen races. Throw in a titan or two.
If you can get a tunnel built to the sieges...

You can have a giant war between demons and everything else right on your front lawn!

Just set up some chairs, grab a few plump helmets and a barrel of your preferred booze, set up on the fort's walls, and watch the blood spill...

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2010, 12:12:56 am »

As a note, if I were planning to withstand Hell for an extended period of time, I'd route the swarm through a long, broad corridor lined with a continuous sequence of constantly operating atom smasher bridges - I think that ought to keep them at bay regardless of numbers, and should keep their numbers from escalating to the point where your CPU chokes out.

Maybe. :)

atom smashers did not work on demons in 40d, the bridge would break instead. toady did that deliberately, as it was regarded as a fairly cheap way of getting rid of the old hfs. its almost certainly in the new version as well, you would need to go with cycling spike traps. although the current weirdness with weapons and pointed weapons like spears and arrows may mean that spike traps are not as good as they used to be.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2010, 12:49:06 am »

Half the damn things are incorporeal (made of something like steam) from what I noticed the (only) time I breached hell so far.  Spikes will do jack and shit against them judging from my experience with a steam forgotten beast.

I also don't believe they can be knocked out with cavein dust, though crushing with natural stone may work.

perhaps a water/magma repeating cavein generator could defend your fortress indefinitely against them.  However you would have to build the thing in such a way as to cause the stone to fall into a pit, or else it would quickly get plugged up.   And that would probably require the dumb luck of the adamantine vein being directly over a glowing pit.  Unless caveins can punch through semi molten rock.

You would also have to be able to withstand at least the first assult as the damn pipe slopes, requiring you to make the cavein generator within the pipe.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6