Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?  (Read 10754 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 12:09:29 am »

"Oh shit, we just dug into Hell, might as well abandon the fort as our FPS can't take it!"

Not really fun or Fun. It's the FPS hit that's the problem.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 12:11:36 am »

Well only if you try and wall them off.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 12:16:28 am »

Which makes me wonder. What if you had legendary dwarves that dodges/blocks ALL attacks, and then attempt to keep them from flooding your base. However, if it's that annoying, at least we can be happy they don't dig to the surface if you wall out their lair. But letting them stuff into the hole constantly to infinite amounts? Is the planet as big as the universe? I mean... i'd imagine maybe 16,000+ or so, but infinite? Everything has it's finite timing right?

Then again... yeah, it was coded to generate them from nowhere, but this would basically keep people from going all "RAW ADAMANTINE! QUICK, STOP MINING!" and basically just hope some npc fortress somehow obtains it. Which makes me wonder. What would happen if you were to attempt to open THREE hellholes, and then try to see what the demons would do against the world as they flood it? It would probably be so epic, we'd go mmo on them. XD

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 12:19:41 am »

Well, there isn't an unlimited number, but somebody calculated there to be a few billion.

And with that amount, they would reproduce fast enough to count as unlimited.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 12:19:47 am »

Plug the holes with obsidian?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 12:23:51 am »

This is a towercap wall. It is made of towercap wood. It is half an inch thick and completely seals off all the demons of hell.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 12:28:02 am »

I think sealing off the adamantium from the rest of the fort with walls and having a row of obsidian casters to seal the halls in case of emergency to be the best course of action.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 12:58:22 am »

Two words: FPS death.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 01:52:57 am »

SPOILERS are your friend.

And no, hell cannot be withstood. As previously mentioned, infinite demons, finite dwarves, finite CPU.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 02:47:47 am »

See, hell finishing me off because of it killing my CPU isn't exactly how I think it should be.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 03:11:34 am »

See, hell finishing me off because of it killing my CPU isn't exactly how I think it should be.

This exactly.
And twice over for me since my entire system is ancient and absolutely horrible compared to most people. I play DF a lot because it will actually run on my graphics card. (and because I'm a sadistic architect with a love of creating horrible things.)

exactly how many ARE in play at any given point? is there a cap on it?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 03:28:04 am »

Okay gentlemen, I think this is the perfect moment to finally start that supercomputer fund. From what I remember, the price is roughly 500 dollars per hour. Anyone?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 04:09:37 am »

...well this is dissappointing.  So breaching Hell is essentially just the new alternative to abandoning your fortress now?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 04:14:43 am »

exactly how many ARE in play at any given point? is there a cap on it?
A single Demon species outnumbers every nonvermin species, combined.

iirc, Demon species are listed as being 'unnumbered', that is normally only applied to highly numerous vermin like ants.

Also, my maths was wrong. I did a quick check; the largest number of vermin creatures that is not listed as 'unnumbered' is Flies, which average around 28,000,000 pop.

That's right, 28 million.

That means that there are, at least, 28 million of each species of demon.

One single demon species outnumbers every single non vermin creature on the entire world.

Together, all the demons outnumber every nondemon creature, combined. Pocket worlds have 20 demon species, that means a pocket world has more than 560 million demons.

A Large world, with it's 52 species, has more than one and a half billion demons.

And remember; that number isn't even minimum. It has to be more than that due to the 'unnumbered' status.

Demons outnumber ants.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6