Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?  (Read 10741 times)

Thiickshake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:39:29 pm »

So as the title says has any one actually withstood hell.

also i dont mean breached hell then walled it back up i mean 100 legendary axe dwarfs slaughtering hells minions kinda stuff?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:40:24 pm »

The demons are infinite.

Your dwarves are not.

Nor is your computing capacity.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:45:21 pm »

With the absents of immortal demons, a decent military can withstand the initial hoard and set an outpost base in hell to slow the intruders, but in the end, they will ALWAYS win.

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:49:39 pm »

I think the closest you can come to winning is to claim your own little chunk of Hell. Breach it, kill the initial horde, floor over all the glowing pits, and construct a massive barricade to prevent more clowns from entering from offscreen. Alternately, flood the whole thing with lava. It probably wouldn't kill many any, but it would certainly allow you to claim victory in the name of Armok and run screaming into the sunset. Which is also on fire.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:01 pm »

I'm now imagining a succession game with the goal of conquering all of hell one 4x4 embark at a time.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:37 pm »

I'm now imagining a succession game with the goal of conquering all of hell one 4x4 embark at a time.

I'm now imagining win.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 11:55:26 pm »

I'm now imagining win.
I'm now imagining a completely despoiled Coruscant-world full of dwarfs.

...dude.

Once we're allowed to leave a fortress to its own mechinations...
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:57:05 pm »

I like the new changes very much. Toady seems to completely understand what "Oh shit, we just dug into hell!" should entail.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:00:42 am »

Quick calculation:

It would take 4624 forts to conquer an entire pocket region

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:02:28 am »

Quick calculation:

It would take 4624 forts to conquer an entire pocket region
I assume there is no ocean to speak of.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:04:07 am »

Well you'd have to either reduce the oceans in the raws or reduce that number by the number of ocean spaces

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 12:05:23 am »

Right, so now I'm thinking about how to flood Hell with magma. The obvious problem is that glowing pits function as bottomless holes, so its necessary to either floor over every single bottomless pit in existence or pump magma in with such force and pressure that it flows in faster than it can be drained. Therefore, I recommend the following.

Create fortresses covering every single tile of the world map. Each of these fortresses will have a mega project consisting of a lava reservoir covering at least ten z levels, preferably more, and shall be receiving constant input from the magma sea. Additionally, each of these fortresses shall engage in a military campaign designed to temporarily pacify Hell while the glowing pits can be floored over by our intrepid dwarven masons. Once the flooring is completed, Hell shall be resealed via constructed floors to prevent Hell from being prematurely unleashed. Finally, Each fortress shall have a lever which is easily accessible from the surface which, when pulled, has the effect of opening Hell via cave ins and simultaneously draining the reservoir into Hell. Once each and every tile of the world map is covered in said fortresses, a brave adventurer shall journey across the globe, pulling each and every one of the great Levers of Infernal Retaliationtm. Once his epic task is completed, he will retire a heavily fortified clear glass pyramid so that he may contemplate the glory of the burning world.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 12:06:52 am »

I like the new changes very much. Toady seems to completely understand what "Oh shit, we just dug into hell!" should entail.

On the other hand, as wickedly awesome as it is, it remains impossible to win as demons will continue to spawn even if you do wall the entire thing off; even if you don't lose, your fort's over due to FPS. The only real way to win Hell is to wall off every single square of Hell, which I believe is impossible to do as you'd have to leave somewhere to stand. Breaching Hell = the end. Fortunately for me I never bothered with adamantine anyways, so I can just remove Hell from my worldgen settings.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 12:08:11 am »

On the other hand, as wickedly awesome as it is, it remains impossible to win as demons will continue to spawn even if you do wall the entire thing off; even if you don't lose, your fort's over due to FPS. The only real way to win Hell is to wall off every single square of Hell, which I believe is impossible to do as you'd have to leave somewhere to stand. Breaching Hell = the end. Fortunately for me I never bothered with adamantine anyways, so I can just remove Hell from my worldgen settings.

Toady seems to completely understand what "Oh shit, we just dug into hell!" should entail.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6