Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange moods in non-crafting dwarves  (Read 589 times)

DoofusMagnus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Strange moods in non-crafting dwarves
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:03:25 pm »

I've had a couple non-crafting dwarves taken by strange moods, such as farmers and animal trainers. Do these work any differently than crafting dwarves? My track record with them so far isn't good. I've had two farmers taken by moods, one before I had a farmer's workshop and one after, but that second one never claimed it. I can't recall exactly, but I'm guessing that since I did have a kennel I must not have had a unowned dog at the time for the animal trainer, but again they never claimed the kennel. And then I had a child taken by a mood, and their only skill was growing, so I just plain had no idea what to do for them; unfortunately it came down to issuing a beat-down when they went berserk.

IIRC my crafts-dwarves have claimed their workspace first (assuming it's available) and then made their demands, and aren't stopped from making the claim by lack of material. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks for any help. :)
"'Course it's a good idea!"

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange moods in non-crafting dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »

if they're non-crafting dwarves they should claim a craftsdwarf shop and will make/gain skill in a random crafts skill (woodcrafting/stonecrafting/bonecrafting)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:28:51 pm »

A lot of professions (such as farming and animal training) don't have associated strange moods - so when they get struck they just grab a craftsdwarf workshop and pick a random craft skill.

In an effort to add something not already said, allow me to recommend http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Strange_mood
There are some strange subtleties to strange moods which, the next time a question like this comes up, you can get your answer much more quickly, hopefully without having to lose a dwarf.

But in general, have at least one of every workshop (non-magma version where applicable), even if you're not doing anything with it.  That way you won't have to scramble to get your artifact when it happens.

DoofusMagnus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:04 pm »

Thanks for the help, guys. :)

I was about to say I already had a craftsdwarf's workshop, but then I realized that it was something I had added during the hours I lost to a crash (that'll teach me to save) and never added back.  ::)

And I have been making much use of the DF Wiki. :) The strange moods article just didn't make mention of non-crafting dwarves, so I've sadly lost a few. Though it wasn't as disastrous as my first attempt at a militia, which turned into a crack suicide squad. I'm working up the courage to have a second go at that at the moment.
"'Course it's a good idea!"

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:57:51 pm »

Just a note , in version 40d this may be a bit different or not I dunno. I just had a miner get taken by a strange mood and he took over a masons shop instead and created a door (And did not get the skill boost for making it in masonry for whatever reason)
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:59:46 pm »

Just a note , in version 40d this may be a bit different or not I dunno. I just had a miner get taken by a strange mood and he took over a masons shop instead and created a door (And did not get the skill boost for making it in masonry for whatever reason)
That's because Mining counts as Masonry when deciding what sort of artifact to create.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 02:01:47 am »

this happened today, miner had a mason mood, he did get legendary as he wasn't possessed, but he did skip a different crafting skill he had at novice to do the masonry, which he had no skill in.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku