Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Arrrgh gah, nothing ever works!  (Read 1635 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Arrrgh gah, nothing ever works!
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:39:21 pm »

As the title may have led you to suspect, my attempts at modding arnt quite working.

I have been trying to mod in one of those boiling-rock-poison, which is suppost to be a product of a custom reaction. And dispite all the glorious stories of succes I have been reading and the wiki stating that its easy as pie, my attempts have all resulted in failure. The stone evaporates, but thats all. No harm to the dwarf whatsoever. Only a fixed temp of 50000 would do some harm, which wasnt quite what I had in mind.

The closest I gotten to is knocking the dwarf out forever, turning him into a beardy snowhite. Also not what I had in mind. Necrosis, bleeding, paralysis, nausea, etc all disappointed my by doing nothing at all. I tried numerous combinations of all tags I found in a wiki article, some mods and the default raws, but none worked. Heres my latest impotent puff of harmlessness:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Must have wasted several hours on this thing before reaching the end of my wits.

So, can anyone see something awfully stupid I have been doing wrong all along, or should I toss this in the overly full bin of things that just dont work?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Arrrgh gah, nothing ever works!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:57:13 pm »

So you're trying to create a reaction to produce a stone that has a harmful poisonous gas? Brilliant!

What is the purpose if you don't mind my asking? It'd mostly just kill your dwarf...

Might have a problem with making it an on_contact poison.

I'm pretty sure there is a thread for the explosive stone with raws in the thread for ease of copy and paste.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:08:10 pm »

I knew it was somewhere...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53002.0

exploding stone with a infection dealio... read up buuuuudddy
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:58:29 pm »

Oh yeah, I found that one. Tried copying literally this time, but no good again. Having him continue the reaction job on repeat for a while now, all that happened is that hes gotten thirsty.

Thing is, that mod is only desinged to affect the dwarves over a long time. Mine is suppost to not let them survive a single reaction job.

Reason is im trying to make a mod to sacrifice my dwarves to a number of evil gods, using a custom workshop, and one custom reaction for each god.

The reaction would have no reagents, a poison to kill the sacrifice, and some payment for the sacrifice.

The whole thing would be part of a larger mod of a race of evil, canibalising and slave driving dwarves. Originaly intended it to just be an alternitive way to butcher slave dwarves (the other method is a hassle), but I cant restrict reactions to specific castes so I just ended up replacing the alchemy labout with a sacrifice labour. My current test dwarf is novice sacrifice... gah.

If this all keeps failing I can just replace the poison part with some rediculously hot material and burn the dwarf to death, but that would make the new poison system go to waste, and that would be disappointing.

Edit: dwarf died from paralysis after many many attempts. Seems its a matter of chance even though I have the probability at 100%. Tried simply giving the reaction a lot more poison as product, but same effect. Cant seem to make it evaporate slower either. Making it a burning liquid doesnt work... ah bah, time to get some sleep.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:21:25 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:22:57 pm »

[CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:1:PEAK:5]
      [CE_NECROSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:BP:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:ALL:START:50:PEAK:5000]

Try making SEV:1000 to SEV:10000 or 5000? I forget the max for that.

Remove RESISTABLE, SIZE_DILUTES

Idno what BP is.

Necrosis is only going to target the brain? I think that's what that is...

Idno how the start and peak thing works...

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:05:56 am »

Inhaled syndromes can be very tricky - I suggest replacing your syndrome effects with something immediately lethal, like something that impairs both lungs with no chance to resist it.  That way you can determine if it's getting inhaled and simply not effecting them, or if there's something wrong with the method or whatever.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 12:50:31 am »

Creature Raw

Code: [Select]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:DISEASE_RESISTANCE:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:56:30 pm »

Ok, after some more !!science!! I found out that inhaled poisons dont easily get inhaled. I eventualy had the poison able to kill the dwarf the moment it was inhaled  (it instantly rotted away all nervous tissue, incl. the brain. Got that from the giant desert scorpion, they are pretty hardcore), but this only happened rarely. Most of the time dwarves just dont seem to breathe. Removing the resistable tag or giving the dwarves 0 disease resistance made no noticabler difference.

Contact poisons only seem to work for liquids, and liquids produced in reactions just get stuck in the workshop. Even after deconstructing the workshop and setting a 1-tile meeting zone on top of the poison no dwarves died, because they were all wearing shoes. The donkey had less luck, hehe.

Injected poisons obviously didnt work either.

And so ill just have to stick with dwarf-melting materials if I want to kill them in 1 go for now, at least untill Toady refines and expands the poison system.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 12:04:41 am »

you could try freezing them and them dropping them from extreme heights and pretend you're shattering them. Idea taken roughly from terminator.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 07:56:59 am »

I've been wanting to get around to making smelters produce burning ash to flood the place with smoke, but I'm not sure if it would set the dwarf on fire or not. Give it a try, and either way at least one of us will be happy.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 10:53:47 am »

Oh I tried that to see if the smoke from inhalable poisons is poisenous. It wasnt. Didnt set the dwarf on fire either, I guess it was too cold for that.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 03:22:15 pm »

Try modding out the clothing of your dwarves so they will be more vulnerable to syndromes?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 08:03:41 am »

Oh I tried that to see if the smoke from inhalable poisons is poisenous. It wasnt. Didnt set the dwarf on fire either, I guess it was too cold for that.

Oh cool (heh), I guess I can do it then. Ought to look nice, and make keeping furnace operators happy a bit harder. But bear in mind, there's some evidence that burning materials will keep increasing in temperature untill they reach their boiling point and vanish

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 09:27:58 am »

The max for severity is 100, I should think.
Plump Helmet snake causes near-instant and deadly necrosis.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 01:16:45 pm »

Oh cool (heh), I guess I can do it then. Ought to look nice, and make keeping furnace operators happy a bit harder. But bear in mind, there's some evidence that burning materials will keep increasing in temperature untill they reach their boiling point and vanish
Give the material a fixed temp, it will keep it from evaporating. Confirmed this by giving a liquid, burning material a fixed temp of 10000, and a boiling point of 10001. It didnt evaporate.

Again thats my loss, hehe. I tried that in attempt to make materials evaporate slower.

Im not too certain about that severity, some recent expiriment where I made a stone that has a 10000 severity was actualy rather succesful. No dwarf caught in the stuff survived. Still trying to reproduce it in a smelter reaction. Maybe its different depending on the type of poison or syndrome? (inhaled, injected, etc or paralysis, necrosis, etc)

Also, plump helmet snake! I gotta mod in more shroom creatures.
Pages: [1] 2