Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make a trash compactor?  (Read 5287 times)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make a trash compactor?
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:10:38 pm »

So my plan is to make a dwarven atom smasher than just eradicates refuse (since it doesn't rot properly, and there's too many goblin corpses these days anyway).  But in practical terms: how do I get the dwarves to just leave refuse on a drawbridge?

I've tried designating a stockpile on top of it (won't let me) and making a pit above it (can't figure out how to make dwarves put refuse in it).  I know it can be done; what's the incantation?

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a trash compactor?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:26:58 pm »

Build drawbridge.
Retract drawbridge.
Create a Garbage Dump in the tiles where the bridge goes when it's down. (activity zone, not stockpile)
Mark junk for Dumping.  (be careful if you have other dumps, because the stuff will be dumped in the nearest one).

When the junk pile is deep enough, lower the bridge (which will smash stuff out of existence), then raise the bridge again.

You don't want the trash on the top of the bridge, because then when you pull the lever, it'll scatter everywhere.

Edit:  The bridge doesn't go over a hole.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 06:31:49 pm »

Rather, make a hole/ledge and assign the garbage zone such that dwarves throw their junk down a z-level. Now you can build that bridge however you want without having to erase/redraw the zone again and again. Build the atom smasher such that it compacts your trash both while rising (crush against the wall) and when lowering (crush on the floor).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:37:12 pm »

...such that it compacts your trash both while rising (crush against the wall) and when lowering (crush on the floor).
It doesn't toss the stuff into the air?  I thought bridges threw things, both animate and inanimate, when raised.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »

They do throw things.  I've never heard of anyone using a bridge to crush something against a wall before.  Anything on top gets bridge-a-paulted.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:47:51 pm »

In fact I went and attempted this.  However (unlike 40d) it does not seem to be possible to designate a garbage dump in midair (despite the fact that "throw it down a hole" is the most obvious trash solution ...).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:20:24 pm by rodya_mirov »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »

When a raising drawbridge raises, it creates a one tile wall along the side in the direction it raises in.  Anything or anyone on the spaces that become that wall will be crushed when the bridge raises.  Anything on the rest of the bridge will be thrown in a random direction up to 11 spaces X, Y, and Z.  Of course, when the bridge lowers, anything anywhere on the bridge space will be destroyed.

To make a garbage compactor, you need to designate a garbage dump zone on a solid floor adjacent to open space over the bridge.  When you have a garbage zone next to open space, and you designate an object for dumping, the dwarves will go to the garbage zone and then throw the dumped object into the open space.  If a drawbridge is at the bottom, the dumped object will land on the bridge and can then be crushed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:13:12 pm »

In fact I went and attempted this.  However (unlike 40d) it does not seem to be possible to designate a garbage dump in midair (despite the fact that "throw it down a hole" is the most obvious trash solution ...).

Like 40D, designate the tile next to the hole as well. They'll toss it over the cliff.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:24 pm »

Really? I don't have any problems with setting activity zones that float in mid-air, although if a dwarf is to use one (such as a garbage dump), at least part of said zone should touch solid ground... otherwise, where do you expect the dwarf to stand when he/she heaves some two-legged rhino lizard remains into the compactor/pit/volcano?

Again, as Astramancer pointed out, don't forget garbage dump zones (, [g]), not refuse stockpiles ([p], [r])
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:25:51 pm »

Now they are having trouble dropping the trash accurately.  But this is a solvable problem.  Thanks everyone!

Last question: is there a safe way to dump goblin cages?  Seems like whenever I try to get rid of the thing (i.e. sell it) the goblin escapes, but if I just build it there's no problem.  Will I be able to dump it (with [d])?