Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CD Tray Design Screw Up.  (Read 1490 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CD Tray Design Screw Up.
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »

Why, after all this time, do they still insist on placing the open CD tray button UNDER the CD tray?  It would be much easier if I didn't have to flex my finger underneith an open CD tray to close the bloody thing.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: CD Tray Design Screw Up.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:36:26 pm »

Er. What kind of Disk drive do YOU have? i just push the tray a bit, and POOF, it goes in.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 02:37:17 pm »

Row row fight da powah.  Seriously, this has always bugged the crap out of my.  Why do I have to finagle my thumb underneath the tray and slip it out real quick, instead of putting the button where your finger won't be in the path of the tray?

Er. What kind of Disk drive do YOU have? i just push the tray a bit, and POOF, it goes in.

Legacy of old habits, from back when trays didn't do that.  Besides, as cheap as those things are, I'm always afraid I'm going to snap it strip the gears or something.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 02:43:38 pm »

Mine has a button right on the tray. Push. Blink blink. Pop. Now you can pull it open and put a cd in. No you have to push it closed.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:19:15 pm »

It's probably because they put the motor and laser and all that crap underneath the disc, which means there's no room for anything above the disc.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »

They put the button under the tray nowadays because you don't have to push it to close it on 99% of trays now.
And there's no PCB above the tray.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 05:01:43 pm »

Mine has a button right on the tray. Push. Blink blink. Pop. Now you can pull it open and put a cd in. No you have to push it closed.
Well with the motor underneath the tray, putting the button underneath the tray saves you a bunch of wiring and is easier for the manufacturer. I guess that's why they do it.

Hell the disk player on both my and my dad's desktop use a flip-open front so I couldn't even push the button if I'd want to when it's open. My laptop uses a kind of spring system which is open-only, instead of a motor, so I have to push my disk tray back in fully by hand. I can't even close the tray with a button on any computer I have access to...

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 05:06:16 pm »

Or you could just disassemble the case, take the freaking button out, do little something to front panel and put the button there. It's not hard.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 05:07:25 pm »

That still makes more sense that having a button that closes it, but putting it underneath.

Ninja'd: And that's more inconvenient, for people who aren't used to tampering with computers than having the button underneath.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »

My new (Christmas) HP has an open button right on the side of the tray. However all my older PC's are underbuttoned.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 05:26:10 pm »

if you have the pc on the desk then under in a lot better.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 05:30:26 pm »

True, but I think a lot of people put theirs under the desk.

At least we don't have to reach all the way in back to turn the power on and off anymore.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 05:31:05 pm »

Mine is on the side. It is a tiny button though. Also, I seem to have a second (it is labeled as such) CD drive button and tray. However, there is no disc reader underneath the tray and no motor to shove the tray around. It is odd.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 05:32:12 pm »

Also, I seem to have a second (it is labeled as such) CD drive button and tray. However, there is no disc reader underneath the tray and no motor to shove the tray around. It is odd.

So it's just a tray that can slide out?  Maybe that one really is a cup-holder.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 05:55:00 pm »

But it doesn't even slide well. You would have to open the case and shove it out a bit from the inside, and always leave it a bit ajar. Plus, the only drink size proper for it is an inch too tall to change games while you have your drink in there.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: [1] 2