Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 258

Author Topic: Godhood I OOC Thread  (Read 130243 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood, OOC Thread
« Reply #2955 on: June 12, 2010, 06:20:07 pm »

Really impressive! It inspires one.

There`s just a little mistake: The ferals have some permanent settlements (Well, they are more like giant tent camps.). Sure, those settlements often get ravaged by something yet they are rebuilt again and again. (While no place on incendium is truly safe, those settlements are built where the least dangers are.) High peaks, for example. Those living in them are called queer by the truly nomadic ferals, yet most of them are just as brave as them.. And most likely more intelligent and creative.

Oh and to answer your question..

It`s just some kind of initation ritual. Only creatures that died are allowed in the Refugium. (Except visitors and my Firstborn.)
Only creatures that experienced death, and braved it, are worthy to experience the true immortality. (Might also increase the loyalty of them since they see how i care for them. Hehe.) And since they are now reborn again and again when they die they have all the time in the universe to improve their skills.

Also, i want the best and strongest dragons to harass the other creatures of Incendium- In order to make them better warriors. 8)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:27:09 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: June 12, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »

For whoever transcribes it; there are also some of my Bugs left on Natus, as he revived them along with the rest of his planet's insects.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2957 on: June 12, 2010, 10:34:57 pm »

I lied, I feel terrible and am going to sleep. Not post yet. I did start writing it but don't feel like finishing it just now, I keep getting distracted because I am sleepy.

So it will be up tomorrow.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: June 12, 2010, 11:35:18 pm »

Aww, hope you feel better, Forsaken.

I'm back! After finishing FMA/having a long-ass movie marathon/getting sick, I'm ready to do some stuff man
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: June 12, 2010, 11:41:32 pm »

Haha, everyone seems to be getting sick lately.

I may or may not be coming down with stomach flu, so posting's probably... not really going to be effected at all by that, since I have no life and it takes a long-ass time for me to post anyway.  :P
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: June 13, 2010, 01:57:28 am »

About that summary, the Furies are supposed to guard the Refuge, not the Palace and the Morai can build new suits, even if it takes time.

Otherwise, very impressive, good job!

Everyone else, stop getting sick. There's no point in it.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: June 13, 2010, 02:01:59 am »

Tell that to my immune system.

Goddamn relapses.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: June 13, 2010, 02:12:16 am »

You post now. Me want see Rourke.

I'm bringing in a Muse to the Refuge as well, but I don't wanna make a post about it >_>

Other fun facts; the Morai have spread all over the Armada again as the Tribes. Slower cultural growth and population growth, but this was how they were meant to live, damnit. Also, that Great Ship of yours cost them a fifth of their population. Murderer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:13:57 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: June 13, 2010, 02:16:25 am »

Fiiine.

I'll see what I can do ;D
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: June 13, 2010, 03:10:43 am »

There`s just a little mistake: The ferals have some permanent settlements (Well, they are more like giant tent camps.). Sure, those settlements often get ravaged by something yet they are rebuilt again and again. (While no place on incendium is truly safe, those settlements are built where the least dangers are.) High peaks, for example. Those living in them are called queer by the truly nomadic ferals, yet most of them are just as brave as them.. And most likely more intelligent and creative.

I can understand your logic, and I can adapt it.  Before I do, though, I'd like it if you could consider the criteria by which I'm determining whether races actually have permanent settlements or not and see if the ferals fit.  Consider the below a proposition on how to classify these things.

No permanent settlements.

The race lives a hunter/gatherer lifestyle, sustained by local flora and fauna.  They have no particular reason to stay in one place any longer than local food survives.

Roving camps.

The race lives a hunter/gatherer lifestyle, sustained by local flora and fauna.  They move around their territory in large cycles as other hunter-gatherers do, but for reasons of structure, defense or construction techniques prefer to create temporary shelters for the duration of their stay.

A race that has a governmental tech or a construction tech but not both and lacks agriculture or another stable food source or a reason to stick around a place for a long time tends towards roving camps.

Semi-permanent settlements.

This race might live a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, sustained by local flora and fauna.  If it does, it is most likely sticking in one place because it has some sort of task to complete; e.g. digging out an ore vein for reasons of industry.  It will create semi-permanent settlements long enough to complete its task or for food supplies to run out.  A race with mining but not agriculture would satisfy these criteria.

An alternative reason for semi-permanent settlements might be that a particular area has a natural advantage (e.g. defensible terrain), but without sustainable food sources a tribe can only move between these limited sites as it would under normal nomadic lifestyles.  A better form of living for such a tribe might be permanent bases with roving bands, as below.

Alternately, the race might live an agrarian lifestyle but lack either sufficient construction techniques to creating lasting structures or sufficient government to avoid destroying an area through overfarming.  Such tribes construct semi-permanent settlements that last either until natural disaster destroys their homes and forces them elsewhere or overfarming ruins the land and forces them to move away from their barren former residence. 

A race with agriculture but without a construction technique or without a more structured system of government than tribalism will tend towards semi-permanent settlements.  So will a race without agriculture but with a strong reason to stick in one place as long as it possibly can.

Permanent bases with roving bands.

This is the model for the orcs on the Nameless World and the model I use for goblins in DF.  Feel free to criticise.

Where there is a single, relatively rare resource or advantage to an area and the race in question possesses sufficient construction techniques but not agriculture or structured government, a race may adopt a roving strategy based out of a permanent structure.  In these situations, a permanent structure is created at a site (e.g. a dark fortress or important mine), but because of constraints in food and supplies, it is impossible to sustain a large permanent population there.  Most of the population consists of roving bands venturing out from the base to hunt or gather and then returns to the base for security or supply.

Agriculture would turn this base into a permanent settlement by virtue of a stable food supply.  Structured government could also turn this base into a permanent settlement by arranging sufficient taxes of roving bands to support a small permanent population within the base to cater to the much larger transient population of rovers.

Permanent settlements.

The only scenario in which I can reasonably expect a permanent settlement to evolve in a hunter-gatherer society is that listed above in permanent bases with roving bands:  If a race possesses construction techniques and structured government but not agriculture, it creates permanent settlements at those bases it constructs, supported by taxation of the roving hunter-gatherer bands.  Such populations would necessarily be far smaller than agrarian populations could allow.

Otherwise, the base criteria for permanent settlements are Agriculture and either construction techniques or structured government.  Sufficient construction techniques to create lasting structures anchor a tribe to a specific location by virtue of not wanting to leave said structures.  This forces them to adapt sustainable agriculture, allowing them to remain sedentary.  Sufficient government has a similar effect by imposing restrictions on overfarming and keeping things sustainable enough for the population to become sedentary.

If you don't believe me, take a look at how village greens were managed in the dark to middle ages (and indeed, through most of history).  No more than X sheep on the village green, or it gets overeaten.  More than that, the steward starts killing sheep and he won't care whose.

By the above criteria, the ferals would probably fit semi-permanent settlements best, if only because they lack the construction techniques for permanent bases.

On a related note, seeing how quickly the Scholars were able to teach a large number of lesser races (that was like, three different races five different things on three different planets?), what sort of act requirement are you likely to apply to teaching new knowledge and to spreading existing knowledge, Caesar?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: June 13, 2010, 03:46:19 am »

It took me some time reading through that, and yes, that seems like a viable explanation of the whether or not of settling by hunter/gatherers.

On the other hand it almost seems like you assume those races are incapable of agriculture, which seems like a strange assumption to me.

Your final question, though, confused me. It's probably the fact that I'm tired all the way to hell and back, but could you tell me what it is exactly that you're asking the required amount of acts for?

About the bestiary: Sure, put it up at the wiki forsaken created. I'm going to trust everybody's words and believe it is great. I'll have to read it through when I've gotten more time. And really, I apologize that I'm too tired to even concentrate.

Also: You do seem to put a LOT of effort in Godhood already, and you're not even in yet!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:51:11 am by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: June 13, 2010, 05:00:15 am »

Yes, Iituem, you are putting much, logical, effort into it. ;)

I agree with you that Semi-permanent settlements would fit them- Though, one could also just write that just some tribes decide to build those.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: June 13, 2010, 05:05:40 am »

I get a little bored waiting to come in to play.  =P  That and I have a bit of a bad tendency to look at things and apply anthropology to determine how they might work.  Although technological dependency - I'm pretty sure you can't make viable steam engines from wood and stone, so unless a civ has mining (for native copper etc) I would assume their ability to actually use it would be rather impaired.

Similarly, the limited infrastructure available would mean only relatively small amounts of said advanced tech might be manufacturable.  I could more easily imagine these uplifted primitive cultures using their steam engines to oppress their people or power steam-mills (or mining elevators?) than creating huge war machines - at least without divine direction.  Something like Gheronaton's ironborn I assumed not to have designed their own culture but had it dictated to them by their divine overlord, so they probably would get a more advanced civilisation structure but without any real capacity to evolve on their own.  I imagine that without Gheronaton and his Firstborn there to guide them, they would probably either grind to a halt or keep trying to do the same last task that He set them for eternity, never realising their master would never return.

[Think, perhaps, the Serviles from the original Geneforge?]

I meant how many acts does it require to teach a race a completely new tech or cultural norm, compared to how many it takes to spread existing techs/cultural norms.

For example, teaching a race Mechanics for the very first time in the universe I might expect to be more expensive than taking a member of a race that already knows Mechanics and using them to spread it to another race.

I thought races starting off without agriculture unless specified was reasonable, actually.  Agrarian knowledge is not necessarily required for sapience, as hunter-gatherer cultures demonstrate, and it is possible to become fairly culturally and technologically evolved within a gatherer unit - though limited resources would impose restrictions compared to sedentary populations.

Plus, since we are creating the universe from scratch it seems like it might be thematically appropriate to start the races being created from scratch at ground level and let them work their way up/let the gods build them up.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: June 13, 2010, 05:32:19 am »

Pretty much agreed here.

About the act cost: Old knowledge passed on is always cheaper than new knowledge forged.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:34:01 am by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: June 13, 2010, 10:31:09 pm »

Oh, and I just thought of something. I've already planned out my first species, so chains, I think i'll give your marine plaything an ultralisk mount or something as well for payment if you want.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 258