Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gold Thread/Cloth  (Read 2628 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Gold Thread/Cloth
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 08:17:52 pm »

@LegoLord - That's why I said don't take my word for it. Your argument makes sense and I admit defeat or a draw.

@BigD145 - And that'd be why I brought up the platinum thing being healthy. It's mainly avoiding metals that'd be possible to rust, deform/break, contain bacterial (porous metal) etc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:20:11 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Spy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 12:32:29 am »

Well, I'm not exactly sure how this works... but...

iron (standard atomic weight)
55.845(2) g·mol-1

platinum (standard atomic weight)
195.084 g·mol-1

I'm not too sure how the (2) comes into play, but from those numbers... it appears that platinum is almost 4 times as heavy as iron.

This is also absolutely pure weights of iron and platinum. If someone knows better, feel free to step in.

so roughly... a 100 pound block of iron is (whatever size) a block of platinum of (same "whatever" size) is roughly 400 pounds.

Again... I could be very wrong.

In this context, the "(2)" in 55.845(2) g·mol-1 is the uncertainty. It's read as 55.845 +/- 0.002 g/mol.

in any case, the densities of iron and platinum appear to be approx.: 7.874g/cm3 and 21.45g/cm3 respectively, so also about triple, similar to the mass.

Platinum isn't the densest metal, but it's nearly so. I wouldn't want to wear a shirt of it... So it sounds perfect for nobles! Keep the buggers from moving too quickly.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:29:05 am »

The platinum group elements are they heaviest; Platinum, Osmium, Iridium. Depending on the purity, isotope, and a number of other minor atomic variances, Osmium or Iridium are the densest elements.  Technically, the densest substance known to man is Osmiridum, an alloy of the two. Something like ~22.6 grams per cubic cm. 

Silver is actually fairly toxic to life, as are all heavy metals (gold, iron, copper, platinum, uranium, etc.).  This gives silver-impregnated socks and shirts the ability to be worn for ~1-2 weeks, without ever becoming dirty nor stinky. Copper and occasionally silver is also used in chlorine-less pool filters, along with salt.

I'm changing the thread/wafer ratio for gold/silver to make it give equal parts, so you can pull gold into thread from bars and melt it back into ingots without loss. ...er... maybe... if I can get this right... looks like [THREAD_METAL:GOLD:100] grants a 100-length thread.  issue is, a brick of ore generates 1 bar, and 1 bar is ~15000 thread.  So I'm going to change that to [THREAD_METAL:GOLD:15000] and then make sure I can do the same from a bar, at a craftdwarf's workshop? Not sure what the right thing is for craftdwarf's workshop... [BUILDING:WORKSHOP:NONE]? Or is it CRAFTDWARF or is it CRAFTDWARF'S_WORKSHOP or something?

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:SPIN_GOLD_THREAD]
[NAME:spin Gold thread from bars]
[BUILDING:WORKSHOP:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]
[PRODUCT:15000:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:STRAND_EXTRACTION]

Edit: Adding this idea to copper bars, but not its ores; if you know anything about cupric ores, you'd know why. Copper ores aren't very metal-rich, and have to be pretty much liquefied to extract the metal, unlike silver or gold, where you can pretty much crush the rocks and pick out the metal bits.

Re-Edit: the word for craftshop is WORKSHOP. also, it displays all strand extraction tasks as "Extract Metal Strands" regardless of metal. Adding custom hot-keys doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:42:40 am by bowdown2q »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 04:39:30 am »

I don't think that a craftdwarf's workshop is in the raws at all.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 06:24:38 am »

I'm changing the thread/wafer ratio for gold/silver to make it give equal parts, so you can pull gold into thread from bars and melt it back into ingots without loss. ...er... maybe... if I can get this right... looks like [THREAD_METAL:GOLD:100] grants a 100-length thread.

No, [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:etc] gives the reaction a 100% chance to produce 1 thread without defining the number of units.

[REACTION:SPIN_GOLD_THREAD]
[BUILDING:WORKSHOP:NONE]
[PRODUCT:15000:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]
[FUEL]

15000 is unnecessary; it gives your reaction a 15000% chance to produce something.  Through testing I've also found, in this case anyway, that defining a product dimension is unnecessary.  PRODUCT:100:1 gives you a gold thread that can be woven into cloth.

Re-Edit: the word for craftshop is WORKSHOP. also, it displays all strand extraction tasks as "Extract Metal Strands" regardless of metal. Adding custom hot-keys doesn't seem to work.

Kitchen, Kiln, and Smelter are the only vanilla buildings that accept custom reactions.  The extract metal strands your seeing will only take adamantine. 

Now, here's the results of my experimentation:
   [BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000]

This is the reaction I use.  I've left the product_dimension on because it *may* affect things at the cloth->clothes stage (but the whole thing is buggy anyway).

Using that reaction, or that reaction without product dimension, I get "gold strands", which I can then make gold cloth out of at the loom.  Then the process breaks down.  The clothier's shop won't use metal cloth, and the forge doesn't recognize that gold can be used as a metal cloth.  Changing the raws for gold by adding [ITEMS_SOFT] allows the metalsmiths forge to make gold clothes, but uses whole bars.  Changing the raws for gold by adding [WAFERS] allows gold clothes to be made from gold cloth, but requires 30000 units of gold cloth (15000 units of thread makes 10000 units of cloth, which is why I suggested leaving product dimension in the reaction.  I got an error that I need more cloth, but after making more, the metalsmith made the clothes without the additional cloth), and renames all gold bars as gold wafers.

One possible way to get around it:
Make a new metal raw called "THREAD_GOLD" or something, copied directly from the raw entry for gold, but give it the wafers tag.  In the gold -> thread reaction, change the product line to
[PRODUCT:100:3:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:THREAD_GOLD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000].  What this should do is give you a new metal with no ore to make it in bar form (not sure if dwarven traders can magic up some thread_gold bars though).  The reaction should produce 3 thread of 15000 units each, which can then be processed into 3 cloth of 10000 units each, and then woven into clothes.  If you don't change the names of thread_gold (
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
), you probably won't be able to tell if someone likes gold or thread gold, and they won't be interchangable for preferences.  I also imagine someday a noble is going to mandate the production of thread_gold goblets, so do this at your own risk ;)
Pages: 1 [2]