Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gold Thread/Cloth  (Read 2625 times)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gold Thread/Cloth
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:52:06 pm »

Couple of questions:

Would it be possible to mod in gold thread and cloth?
Can I make it so only certain civs can make gold thread?
Can I mod in a reaction that turns cave wheat into gold thread?

Basically, I'm wondering if I could make different civilizations have their own specific trade goods that you can't produce yourself.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Thread/Cloth
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:46:22 pm »

The easiest way to produce gold thread is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then only civs with [USE_GOOD_PLANTS] will get it.

You can also add [GOOD][EVIL] to it and [USE_GOOD_PLANTS] and [USE_EVIL_PLANTS] to limit it more.

Of course you could just make a reaction which takes PLANT and returns THREAD.

[PRODUCT:1:100:THREAD:NONE:INORGANIC:GOLD]
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rubies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 02:28:45 pm »

I think he meant literal gold, as in from gold bars. Also I am too quite interested in this.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 02:30:14 pm »

I meant both. Maybe dwarves can spin gold bars into thread, but gnomes can do it from straw.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:50:50 pm »

Of course you could just make a reaction which takes PLANT and returns THREAD.

[PRODUCT:1:100:THREAD:NONE:INORGANIC:GOLD]

Why not just make a reaction to take gold bars and make gold thread?

Also, for thread, do you need a [PRODUCT_DIMENSION] tag?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:54:05 pm »

Forgive me if this sounds silly, but could you add the [ITEMS_SOFT] tag to gold?

This should basically turn gold into makeshift
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, if I understand the RAWs correctly.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:30:11 pm »

I think you need [WAFERS] too. And it's quite a cool idea. Add it to silver and gold, and suddenly "strand extractor" becomes a fine profession! For now it's too specific.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 04:46:23 pm »

This certainly has a lot of use, especially with jewelry and sprucing up clothing. Also I believe platinum has some health benefits, at least I think it's platinum, like it's great for preventing infections or something... I can't remember.

you could practically make it so every metal can be turned into thread or crafts or whatever it may be.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 04:58:47 pm »

Code: [Select]
[THREAD_METAL:GOLD:100]
Add that to the native gold entry in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt.  Even easier than making gold plants.

This tag should allow you to extract gold strands from native gold in the craftdwarf shop.  Throw in a reaction that also allows you to turn gold thread into gold bars (just clone the HFS metal reaction and change the materials) if you like, too.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 05:10:00 pm »

I wonder how heavy a platinum shirt would be... I'd give them to all the nobles. They'll be happy and more likely to be eaten by a grue.

This certainly has a lot of use, especially with jewelry and sprucing up clothing. Also I believe platinum has some health benefits, at least I think it's platinum, like it's great for preventing infections or something... I can't remember.

you could practically make it so every metal can be turned into thread or crafts or whatever it may be.
Silver has antibacterial properties - it makes exellent door handles.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 05:24:29 pm »

Well, I'm not exactly sure how this works... but...

iron (standard atomic weight)
55.845(2) g·mol-1

platinum (standard atomic weight)
195.084 g·mol-1

I'm not too sure how the (2) comes into play, but from those numbers... it appears that platinum is almost 4 times as heavy as iron.

This is also absolutely pure weights of iron and platinum. If someone knows better, feel free to step in.

so roughly... a 100 pound block of iron is (whatever size) a block of platinum of (same "whatever" size) is roughly 400 pounds.

Again... I could be very wrong.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 05:29:10 pm »

Yeah, that doesn't account for density.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 05:51:38 pm »

I don't believe density is a problem here though. A block of each, equal size could be used to make a shirt of equal size so the shirt for iron weighs less than platinum...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 07:28:21 pm »

Depends.  Let me think . . .
Metal A has a density of 4 lb/in3 and atomic mass of 1 (whatever the unit is for atomic mass.  I forget)
Metal B has a density of 1 lb/in3 and atomic mass of 4
With a 1 in3 block of each, A weighs  4 lbs, B weighs 1 pound.

Ignoring density, A would be lighter than B.

Granted, I can't remember the atomic mass of either iron or platinum so I don't know how feasible it is to expect similar ratios with those two elements.
Just so I remember

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 08:15:30 pm »

Would be great for sutures.
Pages: [1] 2