Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 45

Author Topic: Woman of SCIENCE!  (Read 61258 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woman of SCIENCE!
« Reply #330 on: May 04, 2010, 09:28:54 am »

Agreed.

Don't agree with people agreeing with you it's confusing.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 04, 2010, 09:32:40 am »

Agreed.

Don't agree with people agreeing with you it's confusing.

but I just quoted it I did not agree the first time
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 04, 2010, 09:43:41 am »

but I just quoted it I did not agree the first time

So you did, still managed to confuse me though :P
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:15 am »

Action 18
You awake motivated - you have decided that today, yes, TODAY, you will program a "video game" on your computer. For science! And it will become immensely popular, and everyone will see your genius!

You think about contacting someone experienced with game design, someone with a great idea, but then discard the idea. You, wasting your time making someone elses ideas into reality, when you have so many of your own? Preposterous!

You decide you'll just make a small game at first, to get the hang of it, and then head over to the internet cafe to do some comparison shopping online.

You start brainstorming concepts for the game, working it out on several pieces of scrap paper and on your computer. Suddenly, one idea is leading into another as you get hit by wave after wave of INSPIRATION! Yes! Yes! You'll combine the best aspects of both Poker and Chess, and then wrap it into a gripping narrative with a strong advancement system! To make it even better, you'll include a strong puzzle solving element, and to that end you come up with some rather devious puzzles that people should be able to thoroughly enjoy working over.
You spend a couple hours laying out a detailed plan for the game progression, and how everything will work and interact. You manage to include some killbots in the later levels, as well. You spend another hour just working on the puzzles, and then another hour insuring balance for the multiplayer you just decided you needed to include.

You then begin putting the game together, thoroughly enjoying yourself as you spend several hours plowing through the code and getting a solid framework for the game. As you go, you keep thinking of new, awesome things that you simply MUST include in the game. After thats in place, you spend several hours putting together the many levels, fine tuning them as you go, and implementing the various puzzles. One of the puzzles requires you to include a fairly in depth physics system - it will only be used for that puzzle, but its a good puzzle and thus totally worth it. Then, you begin working on the core of what will make the game great - the vicious AI. It doesn't cheat - it's just amazingly, beautifully good at what it does. Finally, a game with real CHALLENGE!

Then you begin testing the game, insuring everything worked as you planned. You have to do a bit of tweaking, but you can easily tell that the game is simply incredible! A masterpiece!

Finally, you spend a number of hours sketching up with some high quality artwork to go with it. The game wouldn't exactly be called eye candy, but it is the mechanics that really matter in a game anyway.

Satisfied, you sit back as the rush fades, leaving you to realize that you are awfully tired, and awfully hungry.

Whatever, you aren't quite done yet. You still need to release your masterpiece upon the world. You quickly hurry and arrive at the coffee shop, which has just finished opening. You head inside, get a coffee and a bagel with the remains of your pocket change, and go online. You quickly work something out on a major game site, and an hour later your game is published. Now all you have to do is sit back and wait for your adoring fans to sing your praises, skyrocket you to the front page, and shower you with fame and money.

While your waiting, no reason not to be productive. You head online and begin to investigate food and part prices. Not too shabby, not at all. There's a discount grocery nearby, about half an hour on foot, and a thrift store that specializes in appliances a bit over an hour away. You also make a post on craigslist about your robot - you're not entirely sure you want to sell it, but it would be nice to see how much it would go for. Its adorable, which your post really does fail to capture without pictures, but your lack of a camera is an obvious sign that you need money badly. Selling it to a worthy buyer should be fine - anyone else might hurt your pride a bit, but its not like its the first robot you've made. And you suppose being sold is a better fate than blowing up like all the others did.

You notice a cute young man sitting at the table next to you, looking at you. As you make eye contact he says
"Hey there, I haven't seen you around before. You new to town, or did you just find this place? Also," he says, gesturing to your lab coat and gloves. "very interesting outfit. I'm sure its got an interesting story behind it to."
Unsure what to say, you wait to see if he says anything else.
"Uhm... uh, also, you've got some pretty kickin' hair if I do say so myself."

Time Passed : About 24 hours.
Knowledge Gained : Programming +.5

Spoiler: Schematics and Mods (click to show/hide)

How do you respond? (If you even do)

You are Very Tired (extremely tired + coffee).
You are Hungry.
TIME: 7:20am
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:56:24 pm by GlyphGryph »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 04, 2010, 09:55:12 am »

He's probably a spy for one of those so called 'geniuses' at the Science competition.

Also we should probably hire an artist to make art for the game, if we want to make money off it that is. Then again for a days work we might get away with the donation model.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2010, 10:10:58 am »

Wow. Developed and published a full, complex game in one day. I wish I had that kind of work ethic.

We require a minion. Tell him tales of SCIENCE and all the wondrous things we can do. Tell him our robots apparently explode(always a plus) and if all that doesn't convince him to work for us then give him a free copy of the game we just made.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 04, 2010, 11:09:07 am »

Nah, let's use our staggering intellect to seduce this mere mortal! WE MUST HAVE A MAN FROM WHICH WE CAN PLUNDAR
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 04, 2010, 11:10:46 am »

You are Hungry.

Maybe we can get him to buy us breakfast.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2010, 11:27:44 am »

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2010, 12:18:28 pm »

Yes, getting a 'friend' is good. If only we had some phycology, we might be able to persuade him to be our minion. For now, be friendly, he's obviously trying to hit on us.

(Instant future plans: Once we have him securely in our pocket we can move into his house and out of our cousins, on the pretense that we are in love maybe? It's always good to have someone who is copmletely and irrevocably devoted to you, without having to mind control them.)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 04, 2010, 12:20:26 pm »

Hell, we could use the natural stress relievers...

*nudge nudge wink wink*
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #341 on: May 04, 2010, 01:38:05 pm »

Acknowledge him, but don't let them take up much of our time. We need sleep more than we need other people, and they could be a spy or something, come to try to make us work for someone else or come to steal our inventions.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 04, 2010, 02:58:10 pm »

Is he hitting on us? Hmmm. Let's see if we can get a free meal out of this.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2010, 03:57:04 pm »

Acknowledge him, but don't let them take up much of our time. We need sleep more than we need other people, and they could be a spy or something, come to try to make us work for someone else or come to steal our inventions.

Oh clearly he is a spy, that goes without saying (even if we said it) and its not paranoia, they just are all jealous of our genius. However keep your friends close and your enemies closer as they say. I mean its not like they can outsmart us is it now, so we can abuse their misguided attempts and take advantage of it. First off by finding out who he is spying for.

But food, either from the guy or from our cousins place, followed by sleep is probably a good plan.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #344 on: May 04, 2010, 05:13:25 pm »

Oh clearly he is a spy, that goes without saying (even if we said it) and its not paranoia, they just are all jealous of our genius. However keep your friends close and your enemies closer as they say.

Their insectile minds never grasped our genius before, what has changed to bring the attention of those feeble fools to us now? But caution and using this person is of course the best action no matter what their intentions.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 45