Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 45

Author Topic: Woman of SCIENCE!  (Read 61191 times)

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: Woman of SCIENCE!
« Reply #390 on: May 06, 2010, 02:17:03 pm »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 06, 2010, 02:45:33 pm »

Armok, what exactly are you proposing? How will it simulate what the brain wants without actually simulating the brain?

By modelling only part of it, a simplified needs model. Not accurate of course, but maybe accurate enough for now.
This is basically it, yea.

[Claims that it wont work or cant be done]
You are overestimating how hard this stuff is. Evolutions are STUPID, a human engineer can do in a hour what evolution can do in several million years (and do it better). Likewise, human brains may have loads of complex fetures and be very unpredictable, but we dont need to find EVRY loophole and exploit, just a single one, out of thousands. Many parts of the brain are actualy extremly straightforward, and if we keep to those we dont actualy NEED to know anything abaut the complex parts. For the litel knowledge we DO need to know, to figure out wich parts tat is for example, 5 min of introspection shuld be enoguth, considering a certain amount of metacognitive skill is needed to do any kind of serius invention or discovery and thus we can be assumed to have it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 06, 2010, 03:34:37 pm »

Armok, having dealt with this sort of stuff regularly at certain points, I can tell you it is a hell of a lot harder to do what you claim than you seem to believe it is.

Building a simple mind, sure, that's possible - but building one that in any way even begins to approach the way a human's works is simply... not that simple. ESPECIALLY when the problem is that you don't know, to begin with, anything about what you're supposed to be trying to emulate.

Its the difference between building a program that can run video games, and building a program that can run SNES games (especially without access to an SNES, SNES cartridges, or emulators or ROMS).

Evolutions are STUPID, a human engineer can do in a hour what evolution can do in several million years (and do it better
And yet we dedicate years (in some cases dozens of years) to trying, and failing, to solve simple problems that evolution worked out a long time ago. And NASA evolves its transceivers rather than designing them because of how much quicker and more efficient evolution is when constrained in certain ways. The chances of a designed system behaving in the same way as an evolved system (without explicity, knowledgably attempting to emulate it) are slim.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 06, 2010, 03:45:14 pm »

Evolution is stupid, but it has also had millions of years to do it's job. Sure we can make a simulated brain, but it wouldn't actually relate to a human brain in any significant way. Besides, our character knows less about the human brain than some of us probably do. Anyone can build some simulated neurons, but without some serious training there is no way to interpret the data they produce.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 06, 2010, 04:56:32 pm »

You are overestimating the ambition of what I'm trying to do. a few neurons are enoguth, And I assume that if we can program AIlike stuff then we know basic game theory and decition theory, thats really enoguht.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 06, 2010, 05:01:43 pm »

...Still too hard.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 06, 2010, 05:03:54 pm »

A few neurons? Nah, not too hard, after you have one the rest is just limited by your CPU, but I don't see how it helps with game development. What exactly is your intent with this anyway armok?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 06, 2010, 05:30:31 pm »

You have brought this upon yourself, Glyph. Your game is too fun for people not to constantly refresh for updates.
Take another nap until you are fully refreshed.
Read Chemistry book for a while.

Shades, I still don't understand. How will he do this?
this let's do
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 06, 2010, 05:56:45 pm »

Armok, it does not matter any more.
GlyphGryph says it cannot be done.
It cannot be done.

The Word of GM is the Word of God. There is no chance at all that you will somehow convince GlyphGryph to let you build what you suggest, even if it is possible in real life. It's not possible in the game, and it will never be no matter how hard you argue for it, so you may as well play within the constraints of the game.

There was... something else I wanted to do...
Something about the game?
I'll remember later, I'm sure.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 06, 2010, 05:57:54 pm »

Armok, it does not matter any more.
GlyphGryph says it cannot be done.
It cannot be done.

The Word of GM is the Word of God. There is no chance at all that you will somehow convince GlyphGryph to let you build what you suggest, even if it is possible in real life. It's not possible in the game, and it will never be no matter how hard you argue for it, so you may as well play within the constraints of the game.

There was... something else I wanted to do...
Something about the game?
I'll remember later, I'm sure.
Name it Dwarf Fortress?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 06, 2010, 06:04:27 pm »

Hah, it does have many similarities...
a gripping narrative
strong advancement system
in depth physics system
a game with real CHALLENGE!
the game is simply incredible! A masterpiece!
The game wouldn't exactly be called eye candy, but it is the mechanics that really matter in a game anyway.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 06, 2010, 06:14:53 pm »

Updates later. Final tomorrow. I should not be here!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 07, 2010, 05:47:45 pm »

You have dissapointed me  :-\ But how did the final go?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 07, 2010, 05:49:18 pm »

Just finished failing it, and went to look to update the thread and couldn't find it on the second or third page and boom, here it is on the-

Oh.

I've just been informed they are closing the lab. Damn, I had such an awesome update planned, too. :(

Later tonight if I can get internet though.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 07, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »

Woo woo
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 45