Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to maximize framerate on big fortress.  (Read 3810 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: How to maximize framerate on big fortress.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 01:10:31 pm »

Walling off areas, you have dug or found, which you don't need immediate access to will stop the pathfinder from pathing through them which can save FPS. You can do similar with traffic options (d - o, if I remember correctly) just set the tiles to restricted, this can cause slowdown though if a dwarf tries to get access to an item within a restricted tile.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 01:36:32 pm »

I started making the migrants mine and letting my legendary miners trade off to different jobs. This produces fewer stone in the first place.

The impact of lag sources varies between computers. Presumably lots of items is a little less of a big deal with more memory while flows and creatures pathing about is a CPU thing. I've lucked out with a GPU that runs the game well as is so partial print doesn't do anything for me but after the merge with Baughn's work a lot more people should be free of display slowdown.

Really do turn temperature off though. If your dwarves end up with magma coverings you can go toggle it back on and they'll still burn up but aside from actual contact with magma all temperature does is make the rooms a little more or less comfortable. There are some bugs where hot water makes creatures melt somehow right now (meaning some rain is very very dangerous) but once Toady deals with that we probably won't be able to make water do anything like that no matter how hard we try.
So in short temperature doesn't do anything most of the time and if you're going to go digging near the lava or pumping it around just turn it back on long enough to accidentally kill your dwarves before you start.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »

Walling off areas, you have dug or found, which you don't need immediate access to will stop the pathfinder from pathing through them which can save FPS.
Have you tried putting up a door and locking it?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 02:18:00 pm »

Walling off areas, you have dug or found, which you don't need immediate access to will stop the pathfinder from pathing through them which can save FPS.
I have been wondering the same thing.  I do know that a door that is only locked to pets really kills fps because the path finder doesn't check for that flag, only the actual movement routine seems to check that flag. (watch the animals stack up on a pet locked door but not a fully locked one).
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 05:00:54 pm »

I rarely have huge FPS issues and I've only used traffic designations before which did help. I mentioned walling off because of pets and things that like knocking doors down.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »

The impact of lag sources varies between computers. Presumably lots of items is a little less of a big deal with more memory while flows and creatures pathing about is a CPU thing. I've lucked out with a GPU that runs the game well as is so partial print doesn't do anything for me but after the merge with Baughn's work a lot more people should be free of display slowdown.
Not exactly, memory is not a problem for me, and DF almost never reaches the limit (when it does, it crashes, but its another story). Objects count does increase CPU load.
It is probably caused by jobs generation and resource selection. When your stonecrafter decides which stone to take, it could check distance to ALL stones to find nearest, for example.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 08:03:33 pm »

Not exactly, memory is not a problem for me, and DF almost never reaches the limit (when it does, it crashes, but its another story). Objects count does increase CPU load.
It is probably caused by jobs generation and resource selection. When your stonecrafter decides which stone to take, it could check distance to ALL stones to find nearest, for example.

I don't think it has to do with job generation/resource selection directly, because most of the stone in my lag-fest fort is forbidden, and my stonecrafters are on permanent vacations in favor of silk from the GCS farm. My population is 55. Yet, despite the fact that the excess stone should not be generating jobs, my fps is ~19.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 08:37:15 am »

I don't think it has to do with job generation/resource selection directly, because most of the stone in my lag-fest fort is forbidden, and my stonecrafters are on permanent vacations in favor of silk from the GCS farm. My population is 55. Yet, despite the fact that the excess stone should not be generating jobs, my fps is ~19.

I would guess the "find this thing" routines still need to check each thing to discover it is forbidden.  I doubt there is a list of forbidden things and a list of non forbidden things.  Just a master list of stuff with flags.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.
Pages: 1 [2]