Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about wells?  (Read 1403 times)

mattdps2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about wells?
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:14:17 am »

do i need to designate my well as a drinking source or will the dwarfs drink automatically ?

Phreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question about wells?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:25:28 am »

Just hit the 'q' button and select it like you would a workshop and set a size of the room for it.  Then they will drink from it, throw parties around it, and clean themselves from it.

mattdps2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:17:11 am »

well i have a well in my barracks and i dont want that to be a meeting hall is there any way to get them to use it without overlapping rooms?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:26:29 am »

well i have a well in my barracks and i dont want that to be a meeting hall is there any way to get them to use it without overlapping rooms?

They wont use it as a meeting area unless you designate it as one, as for overlapping rooms, I usually put wells in little 3x3 rooms off to the side of whatever area I am putting them with to avoid that problem.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:31:11 am »

to answer your question: as long as the well is functional (if you hit 'q' and hover over it and it says ACTIVE), your dwarves will use it automatically.

mattdps2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:32:16 am »

thank you for answering my question  ;D

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:15:24 am »

Uhm...so is there a reason a well would deconstruct itself?

I've built 6 wells so far, 3 at a time, and all 6 have deconstructed.  There are buzzards on the map, which can evidently destroy (wooden) doors, so maybe they're destroying the well too?  Problem is there's no message for it.  Anything else that could cause them to spontaneously deconstruct?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:34:57 am »

Uhm...so is there a reason a well would deconstruct itself?

I've built 6 wells so far, 3 at a time, and all 6 have deconstructed.  There are buzzards on the map, which can evidently destroy (wooden) doors, so maybe they're destroying the well too?  Problem is there's no message for it.  Anything else that could cause them to spontaneously deconstruct?
Any critter with [BUILDING_DESTROYER] will deconstruct your wells.

Also, I've seen it happen that when water on the Z-level directly below a well freezes, the well deconstructs.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 04:26:35 am »

Also, I've seen it happen that when water on the Z-level directly below a well freezes, the well deconstructs.

Ah, this must be it.  I was thinking the buzzards were doing it without giving me a message, but I am in a cold biome, so that makes more sense (well, as much sense as DF can).
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:14:53 am »

Ah, this must be it.  I was thinking the buzzards were doing it without giving me a message, but I am in a cold biome, so that makes more sense (well, as much sense as DF can).

Odd, I'm now on a very cold biome, too.  But even when the river is frozen over, the water connecting to my two wells is still free-flowing.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:10 am »

underground water shouldn't freeze.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »

This. I'm not entirely sure about it since i haven't done it in a while, but i think if you build an enclosure over & around the well, it should keep it from freezing over too. Someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong in this case

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 01:14:54 pm »

Hi!

This. I'm not entirely sure about it since i haven't done it in a while, but i think if you build an enclosure over & around the well, it should keep it from freezing over too. Someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong in this case

From bitter experience in the previous versions (40d, I think), at least back then, built enclosures will not prevent the well from freezing. The well has to be created in a subterranean room that has never been exposed to sunlight.

Deathworks

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 01:17:54 pm »

How far can a well pull water up from?  I was thinking about making an internal well in case of sieges or other events cutting off my access to the local above ground rivers and ponds, but I think my choices in creating it currently involve either diverting part of the river to under my fortress or drilling a well to the cavernous underground lake I discovered directly in the path of my main mining shaft.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 01:50:23 pm »

Hi!

I haven't made a well in 31 yet, but in the previous version (with fewer z-levels available), I usually dug wells about 10 z-levels deep. On the forums, I have also seen people reporting much greater depths (I think about 40 z-levels).

However, note that getting water from a well is not instantaneous. Instead, you get to see a nice animation of how the bucket descends and rises. So, the deeper your well, the longer it actually takes to get water from it. But this should rarely be problematic (unless you have a surface well getting water literally from hell, I guess :) :) :) ).

Deathworks