Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fortress concept  (Read 593 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fortress concept
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:09:12 pm »

I was going to make my new fortress and wanted some opinions and advice on the design. 

a 9 tile square downward staircase on the surface which leads to the center of a large circular room.  everything below the center stairs in a straight column is stone block manufacturing.  around the outer edge of the circle are 6 smaller downward staricases that lead to hallways below which extend away from the center.  Each one of theses leads to a district.

1. Apparel- clothes, armor, weapons, and packs/quivers ammo
2. finished goods- crafters, jewlers, mechanics, and soap production
3. hospital
4 food production- farms, farmer's workshop, fishery, butcher's shop, and tanner
5. living quarters
6. furneture manufacturing- carpenter and mason making furneture, flood gates, grates ect.

should i have my people live in the districts they work in or can they commute easily enough? 

i would love to hear what anyone thinks about this idea.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Re: fortress concept
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:13:27 pm »

I always make a giant bedroom complex and have workshops separated from it, but I really should think about putting small bedroom/dining room areas near workshops and compartmentalize them.  There's even more incentive to do this now that we have burrows.  If dwarves are off on their own, they won't get to know other dwarves to well, so less chance of a tantrum spiral.  Maybe.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:23:46 pm »

my major problem with the new version is that every vitally important feature is broken currently.  hospitals aren't super vital i suppose but the military is..... so i was desperately awaiting the update.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 02:25:42 am »

I always make a giant bedroom complex and have workshops separated from it, but I really should think about putting small bedroom/dining room areas near workshops and compartmentalize them.  There's even more incentive to do this now that we have burrows.  If dwarves are off on their own, they won't get to know other dwarves to well, so less chance of a tantrum spiral.  Maybe.

One of my original forts had a sort of urban live-in twist to this. Each dwarf had his own workshops and own dining room, bedroom, food/drink stockpiles and such in his own little home. With burrows, I could see myself trying to re-create this... Though I've been having huge problems with [t]ake from stockpile.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:13:39 am »

i never bothered with that feature.  you could set up communities by profession where the burros of manufactured materials over lap so say the community of smelters and black smiths would both share the bar block stock pile.  but you could have say a community of jewelers only.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:47:14 am »

As well, a crafter/merchant, peasant, and noble hierarchy.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.