Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Something wrong...  (Read 2780 times)

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Something wrong...
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 11:38:46 pm »

I feel.. Odd..

So I've been killing every single immigrant who comes to my fort who doesn't fit certain criteria - namely, at this point, I'd accept an accomplished/high master Surgeon -AND- Bone setter, or any weaponsmith (for their moods..after which, they die).

Yet I just had a child come.  I can't reasonably kill the child without an elaborate deal, but everyone else who came I killed instantly via atom-smasher.  Then the child was miserable - as both his parents, who were apparently everyone he knew in the world, were just crushed into oblivion.  The child went berserk, and had to be put down..

I don't know.. it gives me this strange feeling inside..  Like..  Hrm.. Can't place my finger on it.

Oh - *snap*  I remember.  I have one less drain on my resources.  Happiness!

Sometimes I wonder if this game is churning out would-be totalitarian dictators...
 :o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 01:26:52 am »

I think it more or less keeps them safely occupied, rather than creating them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:13 pm »

I prefer to imagine that he's replaced his left hand with a forging hammer.

What could be dwarfier?

Have you read the early Drizzt books anytime soon?  A deep gnome does just this.  The other hand, replaced at the same time, is a pick.
f it''s broke, fix it.
If it''s not broke, break it.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 02:30:29 pm »

What could be dwarfier?

Replacing it with an anvil and holding the hammer in his teeth/beard/nostril.

No, a *real* dwarf would replace his hand with a bottle of booze.

Which he'd promptly drink, probably before finishing attaching it. But he'd like the experience so much he'd just cut off his *other* hand, and do the same thing.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 05:41:57 pm »

What could be dwarfier?

Replacing it with an anvil and holding the hammer in his teeth/beard/nostril.

No, a *real* dwarf would replace his hand with a bottle of booze.

Which he'd promptly drink, probably before finishing attaching it. But he'd like the experience so much he'd just cut off his *other* hand, and do the same thing.

Urist McFortyhands?

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 06:51:53 pm »

What could be dwarfier?

Have you read the early Drizzt books anytime soon?  A deep gnome does just this.  The other hand, replaced at the same time, is a pick.

I was thinking this very same thing when I read that line.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 07:09:45 pm »

I haven't read it, no :)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 08:08:47 pm »

If I was to get a legendary weaponsmith and an artifact weapon, I would be very happy.

I'm swimming in artifact iron figurines and perfect gems.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 08:51:59 pm »

If I was to get a legendary weaponsmith and an artifact weapon, I would be very happy.

I'm swimming in artifact iron figurines and perfect gems.

Well..  I cheat a bit.  I do some serious save/reloads depending on if certain dwarves hit moods, and I tend to slaughter immigrants who aren't weapon smiths.  And by 'tend' to, I mean always.  Rare exceptions, based upon need.  In fact, so many are killed that I recently got this :

Of course, the maker of this artifact was introduced to the very same bridge afterward.  Possessed little brat.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 09:57:53 pm »

9/10 9/9 murderers agree that dwarf fortress is their game of choice

in other news a prisoner a pantsland state prison incarcerated for mass murder was killed and written is his blood "DWARF FORTRESS ROCKS!!!!"
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 12:02:55 am »

9/10 9/9 murderers agree that dwarf fortress is their game of choice

in other news a prisoner a pantsland state prison incarcerated for mass murder was killed and written is his blood "DWARF FORTRESS ROCKS!!!!"

"In other news a controversial new game called Dwarf Fortifications is responsible for everything wrong with the country.  The game features detailed 3d graphical depictions of murder and violence, and forces players to execute their own citizens and pets by gradually slowing the game to a crawl until the player murders them with one of several sadistic execution methods, including underground lava pits and collapsing bridges on top of them.  Sources from the World Wide Interweb report that the game is disturbingly popular among prisoners and clearly it inspires crime and violence among our youth.  More at 11!"

Also, I'm jealous, most of my artifacts just have pictures of suns or plants on them.  Bunch of lazy hippie elf sympathizers  :'(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:00:49 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 01:16:15 am »

Dekon, you know that possessed guy could still make another artifact as I recall. At least he could back in 40d, not sure if it still allows possessed dwarves to get a second mood in latest version.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 03:40:17 am »

"In other news a controversial new game called Dwarf Fortifications is responsible for everything wrong with the country.  The game features detailed 3d graphical depictions of murder and violence, and forces players to execute their own citizens and pets by gradually slowing the game to a crawl until the player murders them with one of several sadistic execution methods, including underground lava pits and collapsing bridges on top of them.  Sources from the World Wide Interweb report that the game is disturbingly popular among prisoners and clearly it inspires crime and violence among our youth.  More at 11!"

The sad thing is this is exactly how the media would report it, except they would probably include rape and <moral panic of the day> as things that you could do in the game.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 04:31:26 am »

Not to mention alcohol dependency.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 04:37:33 am »

The sad thing is this is exactly how the media would report it, except they would probably include rape and <moral panic of the day> as things that you could do in the game.

Dwarf Fortress funds terrorism!

9 in 10 deaths can be connected to Dwarf Fortress.

Dwarf Fortress gives you cancer.

Police suspect that <the latest high profile murderer> played Dwarf Fortress at some point during his lifetime.

Dwarf Fortress is global warming.

Since the introduction of Dwarf Fortress, violent crime has increased by a significant percentage.

Newsnight Special: Is Dwarf Fortress Communism?

( UK Election Conservative Campaign: ) A Vote for Dwarf Fortress is a vote for another 5 years of Brown!
Pages: 1 [2] 3